Home Marmoset

Shading issues from baking maps in Marmoset

In marmoset my maps look just fine but then I take them into substance and am getting these weird errors.

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    You may have baked with "Marmoset" tangent space, which can be seen from the bake settings. It's unique to Marmoset itself, and is not synced with other rendering engines. Set it to Mikk / xNormal, which is supported by Substance Painter and many other real-time game engines.

I also assume your low poly is triangulated before baking, to avoid further issues in future.
  • dakotakimble26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my first time doing bakes in Marmoset, I didn’t know that was a thing. Thank you! 🙏
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can change the default tangent space in Edit-Preferences so that you won't have to set this up each time.
  • dakotakimble26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you! Marmoset is really awesome!
  • RoadToViktory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may have baked with "Marmoset" tangent space, which can be seen from the bake settings. It's unique to Marmoset itself, and is not synced with other rendering engines. Set it to Mikk / xNormal, which is supported by Substance Painter and many other real-time game engines.

I also assume your low poly is triangulated before baking, to avoid further issues in future.
    Would you be able to elaborate why triangulating a mesh before baking would yield a better result? I too had just started using Marmoset and this had caught my eye.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Would you be able to elaborate why triangulating a mesh before baking would yield a better result? I too had just started using Marmoset and this had caught my eye.
    All meshes use triangles, when the 3D mesh displays a quad, what it really means is that it's choosing how the quad is split in triangles. If you don't triangulate before baking, Toolbag and whatever other application you're using may choose to triangulate the quads in a different way, which can cause shading errors as the normal map corresponds to the exact triangles, not quads or ngons.