Home Technical Talk

Can't double-click more than one loop in 3DS??

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys. I was using the defaul mouse setup in 3DS since I started using it in December and decided to switch to something similar to Maya's controls(using Alt+left click to pan instead of middle mouse button) as it made everythin quicker. But I came across the problem of not being able to de-select edges this way as in Max uses Alt+left click to deselect(which is now taken), I can only invert selection which is not always ideal. This was with Maya Mode Selection off. So I enabled "Maya Mode Selection" which mitigated the issue slightly but now I can't double-click more than one edge loop! Any ideas? I double-click the highlighted edge on the right and it loops but when I shift/cntl+shift/alt+shift/cntl+atl double click the circled edge it merely selects the one edge(no loop). Any ideas? Or is 3ds just messed in this regard?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Yep, that is one of the many problems with using the Maya control scheme. I ran into the same issues when I was using both apps almost simultaneously. I thought having the same control config would be good, since I kept bumbling up my controls for the first few min after switching and since maya didn't have max controls and way more apps use the maya control scheme, I gave it a go and ran into many brick walls that they never really bothered to deal with.

I gave up and went back to the Max defaults and bumbling around for a few clicks. 

It was a nice idea but they never followed through on it all the way. 
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    What a total shame as I prefer Max to Maya when it comes to 90% of it's features and modeling tools... I really dislike having to use the MMB to pan the view...
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I use a mouse with macrobuttons and have assigned to one of those the MMB, so that I can use my thumb finger with it (obviously I did the same with Maya). And now my fingers feel waaay better.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo said:
    I use a mouse with macrobuttons and have assigned to one of those the MMB, so that I can use my thumb finger with it (obviously I did the same with Maya). And now my fingers feel waaay better.
    Quite clever and a quick work around without messing with scripts or external keyboard editing software. I too have a mouse with some macrobuttons but already assigned them to un-assignible actions(ie delete) but might swap something out for MMB.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I also have a button assigned to backspace/delete :D You're on the right track though - assign to those macro the hard to reach or uncomfortable buttons for a more ergonomic working experience!

Also: if you can, consider assigning there some modifier keys, like Ctrl/Shift/alt (I press alt with my right ring finger), so that your left hand doesn't need to stay like a claw on the lower-left side of your keyboard. It helps with the viewport navigation, too.
  • lurked
    Offline / Send Message
    lurked polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly, just bite the bullet and get used to Max's control scheme.  You get pretty used to switching between Maya's and Max's if you give it some time.  It saves you the headache of dealing with a broken Max that tries to navigate like Maya.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I agree with @lurked Jumping between Max/Substance/Blender and Zbrush(right-click navigation) your brain does cope. Although I constantly find myself using one of Max's most ingenious features - right click mid action to cancel - subconsciously in other programs. :)
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    You can setup maya navigation without going full maya mode!
    Just setup the navigation hotkeys in the mouse tab of the customize user interface settings and adjust the zoom direction

• guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 said:
    You can setup maya navigation without going full maya mode!
    Just setup the navigation hotkeys in the mouse tab of the customize user interface settings and adjust the zoom direction

Thanks but this still does not allow me to de-select edges as Alt+left click(which usually deselects in Max) is taken up by arc rotate. Ideally I would be able to map 'deselect' to a hot ket but Max doesn't allow this...
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Ah yea, missed that one., It sadly is all hard coded :(
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking this here so as not to clog up the Blender thread. 2020 new hotkey editor allows you to choose Maya keymap and then you can choose the Maya nav from prefs.

Just tested and it works as expected. Shift select, including additive double-click loop selection.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? Wow thanks heaps! My Autodesk Desktop App says all my apps are up to date(using Max 2019) so Im thinking i have to download 2020 directly off the Autodesk website?

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    2020 is up to 2020.1 now. :) First update was already released a few weeks back.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloading now :D
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm still running into problems. Is this the Maya Keymap you were referring to:

Thanks heaps in advance.

EDIT: Updated to 2020.1 and found the hot key editor. Messing with it now.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @musashidan
    Wasn't there release notes for 2020  or 2020.1 for that double click functionality or at least click and shift click destination outright? Did they just roll it all into one notes?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @guitarguy00 yeah mate, top on new hotkey editor, there's a dropdown with the Maya keymap option.

@zachagreg that could be the double click to select elements? Not sure what you mean by shift click destination outright.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    All worked out. Thanks heaps :D Turns out you have to hold shift and control if you want to add to existing selection. Not the best solution but easily memorised. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Not if you set the Maya keymap from the new hotkey editor. You can just shift+ddbclick to add loops.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Not if you set the Maya keymap from the new hotkey editor. You can just shift+ddbclick to add loops.
    Oh I mean for just grabbing verts/edges with click drag.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct. From the Maya docs:

To add objects or components to the current selection using Marquee or Drag select

1. Do one of the following:
      • Ctrl + Shift-drag over unselected objects or components.
      • Shift-drag over unselected objects or components.
        Note: When Drag select is on, Shift-dragging over selected objects or components removes them from the selection. Shift-dragging over unselected objects or components adds them to the selection.

To remove objects or components from a selection

1. Ctrl-drag over selected objects or components.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct. From the Maya docs:

To add objects or components to the current selection using Marquee or Drag select

1. Do one of the following:
      • Ctrl + Shift-drag over unselected objects or components.
      • Shift-drag over unselected objects or components.
        Note: When Drag select is on, Shift-dragging over selected objects or components removes them from the selection. Shift-dragging over unselected objects or components adds them to the selection.

To remove objects or components from a selection

1. Ctrl-drag over selected objects or components.
    Thanks for that. Wish it was reversed(Shift to add to selection whilst ctrl+shift adds and removes existing selections) but hey I'm not complaining! I actually made a thread about this on the 3ds forums last year so maybe they actually do check them lol.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    You can just reverse them by customising the Maya keymap in Max 2020.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't seem to find those options in the keymap. Possibly hard coded?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    They shouldn't be because it's already overriding Max's Alt deselect. I'll have a look later when I'm at the computer.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    They shouldn't be because it's already overriding Max's Alt deselect. I'll have a look later when I'm at the computer.
    Much appreciated.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @guitarguy00 yeah mate, top on new hotkey editor, there's a dropdown with the Maya keymap option.

@zachagreg that could be the double click to select elements? Not sure what you mean by shift click destination outright.
    My apologies, I couldn't remember what max calls it. Step loop was what I was talking about I thought they added step loop functionality to LMB click followed by shift+lmb click. I was mistaken though.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @guitarguy00 I think you may be right. I can't find it. It must still be hard-coded. I've asked the devs that built the new Hotkey Editor on the Max beta forums. I'll keep you posted when I get the answer.

@zachagreg Yes, the Shift+click selection mode is like a live preview pick shortest path. Pretty much the same as Step Mode, which I have hotkeyed, but it really should always be active.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    @guitarguy00 I think you may be right. I can't find it. It must still be hard-coded. I've asked the devs that built the new Hotkey Editor on the Max beta forums. I'll keep you posted when I get the answer.

@zachagreg Yes, the Shift+click selection mode is like a live preview pick shortest path. Pretty much the same as Step Mode, which I have hotkeyed, but it really should always be active.
    Thanks bro, much appreciated!
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I taught C4D for years. I never got used to it but one thing I liked was their nav shortcuts. I just put them in Max. 1,2 and 3 (top digit keys) for pan, zoom and orbit and changed the 'S' keyboard key to select object and gave the ,Q' key rectangle select and the repeat action key 'A'. Those keys are totally different to ZBrush so there is never a problem. I get more messed up with switching between Blender and ZB but its doable.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga are you sure you're in the right thread? :D 

@guitarguy00 no problem. I'm curious myself now. I heard back from @coven . He's one of the head Max devs. He said Maya keymap still has issues and I'm waiting to hear back on the selection modifier keys being exposed in general.

• guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga are you sure you're in the right thread? :D 

@guitarguy00 no problem. I'm curious myself now. I heard back from @coven . He's one of the head Max devs. He said Maya keymap still has issues and I'm waiting to hear back on the selection modifier keys being exposed in general.

Please keep me updated. Had no idea the 3ds team communicated with users. Pleased to hear.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @guitarguy00 Yes, Max devs are very active on the beta forums. We(beta users) have direct input into how the tools are developed, just like any other beta phase. Just this week I've been emailed by the team developing a brand new feature that I've been asking for constantly for the last 2 years(obviously I can't say what that is) and they've asked me to test it before it goes into the beta build. :D This is why I'm a firm believer in people getting into beta testing their main DCC and using the Max ideas board actively. People know Adesk as the money-hungry corporation, but the dev teams are just like you and me: passionate about improving the program, despite the looming shadow of Adesk corporate.....

Another of the devs has been in touch on this Maya nav issue and it looks like we may be out of luck. This is what he had to say:

Hi Danny - Can you be specific what you are trying to do?

Some things in Maya navigation mode changes hotkeys (Navigation: Arc Rotate, Pan View, Zoom) and other things are hard-coded (Maya Mode Selection) and that stuff can not be easily changed to use customizable hotkeys (i've checked).

I've decided myself that changing my Max nav to Maya nav is long overdue. Maya nav is pretty much industry standard and most of the other programs I use are using it. I even have Blender set up with Maya nav, so it makes sense that we have as many programs as we can with the same navigation set up. Unfortunately, it looks like it may not be currently possible without breaking other parts of Max. I'm responded and am waiting for more info so I'll keep you in the loop.

• guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan very cool.The recent news of Epic giving Blender 1.2 million will certainly spark some effort out of Autodesk and Foundry which is better for us. How does one get on the Beta testing for 3DS?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Blender crops up often in discussions on the beta forums and this UE4 grant was no different.

I got an invite, but I'm sure you can just apply.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Blender crops up often in discussions on the beta forums and this UE4 grant was no different.

I got an invite, but I'm sure you can just apply.
    I'll look into it. Although I do want to learn Blender 2.8 also. Have seen some insane work come out of Blender in general.