Home Career & Education

Everything I can't do is godlike impossible. Everything I can do is easy and worthless.

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
I look at something and I think "wow, this is awesome. If I learn how to do it I'll be awesome too". Then I learn it and it's no longer awesome. Then I see something else and here we go again.
I have this feeling since I started with 3D. It's been 6 years and it doesn't go away. Does it ever go away? Do you have that feeling too? Am I dysfunctional?

Replies

• Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Sure, that's a common enough sentiment that it has a name: impostor's syndrome. It's really, really easy to believe that your talents aren't that impressive, and any accomplishments you have are a fluke that could fall apart at any momnet. If you're feeling this strong enough that it's seriously interfering with your mental well-being, that's a problem you should work on with a therapist, but feeling it to some not-insignificant degree is absolutely normal. Allow me to relay a story from author Neil Gaiman:

"Some years ago, I was lucky enough invited to a gathering of great and good people: artists and scientists, writers and discoverers of things. And I felt that at any moment they would realise that I didn’t qualify to be there, among these people who had really done things.

On my second or third night there, I was standing at the back of the hall, while a musical entertainment happened, and I started talking to a very nice, polite, elderly gentleman about several things, including our shared first name. And then he pointed to the hall of people, and said words to the effect of, “I just look at all these people, and I think, what the heck am I doing here? They’ve made amazing things. I just went where I was sent.”

And I said, “Yes. But you were the first man on the moon. I think that counts for something.”

And I felt a bit better. Because if Neil Armstrong felt like an imposter, maybe everyone did. Maybe there weren’t any grown-ups, only people who had worked hard and also got lucky and were slightly out of their depth, all of us doing the best job we could, which is all we can really hope for."

https://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/160603396711/hi-i-read-that-youve-dealt-with-with-impostor

• ned_poreyra
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen the term 'impostor syndrome' before, but I don't think this is the same case... To be an impostor you have to actually be among people who accomplished something, whether you really are an impostor or not. I'm nowhere, I'm no one, I'm not even employed in 3D.

By the way, that story about Neil Gaiman isn't a good example. He still doesn't qualify as a writer.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Dont have to be around other people to have imposter syndrome. If you can see what other  people are doing -- i.e. you are on the internet -- you got it. Don't believe you  are special. You are like everybody else, and everybody else is just like you. That's a comforting thought, if you can get over the fact that everything around you is constantly telling you the opposite.

I'd suggest getting out of the house more. Sitting in front of screen is awful for the mind. Make real friends. If you have aversion to stuff like that, stop thinking and just do it. It's necessary. There must be people in your life who are saying things like, "Yo dawg, I got your back." Then you'll feel okay.

here's something about being outdoors equaling goodness =

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @ned_poreyra
    Post your art instead of just asking questions that don't directly affect your artwork.  We could help you do hard things if we knew what thing you were even doing.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yep, I'll second Brian's suggestion.

So indeed, post WAYWO or had worked on?

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you can just look at it in a different way ie , if you no longer think it's awesome , then you must have improved in that yuor technique is better and you have improved your critical eye by a certain degree.
    I am at a reasanable standard, but still hate my wpork on the whole. I just accept that and keep on working
    I have always thought that nothing is easy in 3d, i could paint it in 2d in a 1/5th of the time, but there is the fun of the challenge/using your brain to get a certain kind of solution.

just try not to be negative - maybe you are just having a bad day:)
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think its important to have a clear idea of where you're going with 3D art.

I don't mean the getting a job aspect, more about improving as an artist, like do you have difficulties with fundamentals/techniques, or are you trying to figure out the best way to express yourself and that isn't working out.

Like while we're all artists here, I'm thinking the majority atleast on the 3D side are more production/job oriented so they tend to follow popular trends while wanting to get into popular companies. 
    I don't think its worth comparing yourself to them, unless you are going in the same direction.
    What do you want to do, for instance where do you see yourself in say a years time?
  • ned_poreyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your answers. NikhilR is probably right. I never had any particular plan. I just "wanted to be good at this". And comparing myself to everyone out there doesn't seem like a good idea years later.
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I look at something and I think "wow, this is awesome. If I learn how to do it I'll be awesome too". Then I learn it and it's no longer awesome. Then I see something else and here we go again.
    I have this feeling since I started with 3D. It's been 6 years and it doesn't go away. Does it ever go away? Do you have that feeling too? Am I dysfunctional?

It shouldn't go away  :p
    You know how this industry goes. Game art workflows change, not completely, but there's a shift on a few things. Things are more specialized, etc.