Home Technical Talk

How should I go about creating a 3d comic

I do know quite a bit , but not how to put it all together. So create a base in daz3d , go into zbrush to further customise . Create my clothing , hair , props and environments  etc and put it all in daz?  Daz doesn't have pbr textures. Should I do it with blender ? Blender has real trouble as I have to tediously try and redo the material properties I made in substance designer and painter and 2.8 crashes every 5 seconds ontop of shite pose tools etc.

Maya doesn't have a fantastic render engine.

What software should I use to put all my assets together ? The characters and environments etc. Or what workflow can you suggest? 

Paid and free options are fine.

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Maya has Arnold, one of the best production proven renderers in the industry.

The trouble is not with Maya's renderer or Blender crashing or anything else software related, it's in the fact that you're frustrated because you don't have a workflow or solid grasp of a pipeline. I don't say this to be an arse, it's just how it is. 

It sounds like you have all the toys, but little understanding of how to use them in a production workflow.

You need to slow down and take it a step at a time. Decide on the tools you want in your pipeline, i.e:

Daz for basemesh
    Zbrush for sculpt
    Blender for hard surface and environments
    Substance to bake and texture
    Cycles or Arnold to render...

Now take a linear approach with a very basic prop or scene and run it through this pipeline. Repeat several times, each time learning a bit more from your mistakes. Eventually you will develop and understand what your workflow/pipeline needs to be. Also, at each stage stop and do some research and learn what's going on rather than fumbling through step by step tuts which may reach the goal, but will be of little value if you haven't learned why you are doing something.

The key is to experiment and test with very basic props or scenes until you are comfortable with each stage of the process.

Later on, when you are in full control, you can go full non-linear in this pipeline.

Edit: the fact that you're creating comic illustrations means that you can get away with murder compared to authoring production assets: kitbashing, camera space mapping, no unwraps, paintovers....you name it.

Depends on the style, but Zbrush 2019 has fantastic illustration render features.

Also, the Pablo Dobarro sculpting branch of 2.80 is bringing some great posing tools to the table.