Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KirilZangagolev
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
KirilZangagolev polycounter lvl 2
Can I please get some feedback on what I can improve in terms of artistic quality mainly but also any technical tips would be greatly appreciated?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    A couple things that jump out at me and some suggestion:

1. Silhouette of yurts reads as low poly. Perhaps use some extra geometry to give the overlapping folds of hide some actual shape.
    2. Textures on the yurts look almost painterly. In a cool way. But hte rest of the scene doesn't quite match that same style.
    3. The projected design on the foreground yurts door flap doesn't seem to conform to the folds. If you made that flap in marvelous designer, use the 2d mesh for your UV's, then when you apply a texture in UV space it will conform perfectly to the folds.
    4. Atmosphere lacks sense of scope you often see in Mongolian landscape scenery.  This is mostly composition choice but perhaps heavier atmospheric fog/distortion effect can help give a sense of vastness. Right now, we see a couple hills that are maybe a kilometer  away and then some mountains that are probably 20 klicks or less. But we should see for hundreds of kilometers! Really get a sense for just how remote and barren the land is. Get a sense for how tough and resourceful theh people who live here must be. And why not a big, dramatic sky as well? Just make sure you know the diff between high pressure and low pressure weather systems, as it makes a big difference in the way a scene can feel (and be geographically accurate or not).

Gobi Desert:
    not having the dunes block the horizon allows us to get a sense how vast and featureless the landscape is. These mountains are probably 100 kilometers away. Blueing helps communicate that distance as well. You can achieve this with atmospheric fog. Maybe you can cheat too and add a blue light back there for extra punch of color if necessary.
    Image result for mongolian desert
    this photo is not nearly as dramatic, but still you get a big sense of space. and the sky is cool -- seeing the clouds form over the mountains. Also, heap of camel shit is a nice touch of character :) AFAIK, there is little to no wood in the steppe/gobi desert, so dung is the primary source of fuel.
    Related image

• KirilZangagolev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the composition so you can see further.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks really cool. I tried making yurt before and completely botched it.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool man! I think this is a really nice shot, though perhaps the sky is a bit... I dunno just not as cool as it could be. Mountains play a huge part in the weather patterns, in fact they are the reason the Gobi desert is a desert in the first place, so I think having some dramatic clouds buidling up over the mountains could be pretty cool.

Those are really nice looking mountains, by the way. You used world machine for that?

One of these days I been wanting to make a model of one of the traditional eagle hunters. If you put up this scene for sale either in Unity or Unreal I'd like to buy it to toss my character in.
  • KirilZangagolev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The atmospheric fog I have to make the mountains blue just washes out all the contrast I want in the sky
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is exclude skybox from fog and option you can use? I can only guess at that stuff, not an experienced enviro guy.