Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Top-down Stylized Environment

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
royor node
Hi, this is the substance I am making to finish my small playable environment using Unreal Engine, I am wondering do you really need SSS/Mask map for a Top-down camera angle for a game or should I remove it in my workflow for this type of camera angle?

for substance designer : any tip of avoiding overlapping like what happen here?

Regards,
Roy

Replies

• royor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    this is where I used that stylized leaves. it's still work in progress,

do you guys have any suggestion on those leaves where do I need to improve more?

• royor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    I am done with another texture that will be used on this scene and the floor for something at the bottom.

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Looks nice, one thing you could do if you wanted to improve the leaves is to make an identical material but with small branches in the texture connecting the different groups of leaves. Then in the engine use a vertex map to "paint in" the areas that need branches, so that the borders of the meshes dont have branches sticking out into no-where.
    It might look weird but it could work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • royor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    CybranM said:
    Looks nice, one thing you could do if you wanted to improve the leaves is to make an identical material but with small branches in the texture connecting the different groups of leaves. Then in the engine use a vertex map to "paint in" the areas that need branches, so that the borders of the meshes dont have branches sticking out into no-where.
    It might look weird but it could work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thank you man!, I am planning also to increase the size of it because this tree will be viewed in a far distance a top-down so maybe that is also one of the factor I should consider?.

I still don't know how to apply VERTEX POINT in Engine really I can make some scene there but it's fairly basic.

• royor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    I did some stylized cliff.