Home Adobe Substance

Texture Atlas - Placing 2k into 4k

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
gestoryscht polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys,

I try to make a texture atlas for some foliage leaves and it looks this is actually a real challenge to do it as less-destructive as possible.

I have 12 2k materials, and I want to scatter these like quixel do it with his materials - https://quixel.com/assets/okdr22
My first attempt was it by just using photoshop, but this is pretty destructive and time consuming when it comes to saving the packed files.
I grouped every channel of every plant together and packed them effectivly as possible. It looks good and it would work perfectly fine, but the saving process is very time cosuming - especially when I want to change something.
I should have to got into every smart object, open it, hide and unhide the channels, save it and repeat this for every other leaf. In the end, press enter. This would take a lot of time... *blehrg*
and as already said, when I want to change something I have to do the same thing over and over again.

So I thought it would be cool to have relative pathes to the source files and whenever these are chaing, I can just press the save button and et voila. Done. So I want to After Effects. Should work, but yeah ... the same problem with the export.

I even thought of using InDesign but it does not support a lot of image formats... :/

Anyway - now, after a while, I thought about Substance Designer and damn this is pretty obivious  :*

TL;DR Version

Doing it in substance should fix all of my problems, but here coms my problem. I loaded all of my 2k plants into SD and changed the channels I want. Added some snow, details etc. - but now I want to combine these materials and here comes the problem.
As mentioned before, I want to create  4k textures out of different 2k textures. Transforming and blending works great, but whenever I hook up the 2k node into the 4k one, the texture just resamples to the higher resolution and that's abolutly not what I want.
Is there a way in SD to mantain the original size of the previous used node and making a texture atlas with them?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    change the size from "relative to input" to "relative to parent" on the compositing node - you can then force the input nodes to whatever size you want using absolute
  • gestoryscht
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I am doing something wrong, but... what?

The discs are absolute, bound to 256px.
    The composite, blend node is set to 'Relative to parent' and you can see the result ~

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    That means either your graph resolution is set to 4096 or the Parent Size is set to 4096 in the toolbar above the graph view.
  • gestoryscht
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I don't get it - sorry :/
    Of course the resolution of the graph is set to a higher resolution than the actual shape - that is what I want to achieve.
    Small leaves, packed together in a high res texture to avoid tons of draw calls.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Ok, then you would need to set your transform to Relative to Parent, because that's where you will scale down your different elements before blending them together.
    Set each transform to Relative to parent, set the tiling to no tiling, and scale down by 50% in the Transformation settings.
  • gestoryscht
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, now I got it and it's super simple ... sometimes I overthink the things.
    Anyway ... this practice isn't lossless - isn't it?

The transform node first scales the texture up and in the second take it scales it to it's original size.
    The results are good, but this feels a bit 'destructive'.

Thanks for your help :)