Home Technical Talk

How do I reset transformations after freezing them in Maya

apebit
node
Offline / Send Message
apebit node
So I have a problem, I managed to move my low poly model out of place and freeze transforms after, without realising that it would no longer overlap with the high poly. Now that I try to bake the normals in substance, it bakes it as if the mug was moved. Can someone please tell me how to fix this? is there a way for me to reset both the HP and LP to overlap each other perfectly again. What should I do when this sort of thing happens? Please help I'm really new to 3D and Maya.

Replies

• Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    First of all try the good old CTRL+Z, you never know.
    If it doesn't work:

Select the LP ---> select the HP ---> modify---> match transformations ---> match all transforms

Or simply move the pivot point of the LP to the center of the base of the mesh ---> snap it with the center of the base of the HP ---> transformations should be ok now ---> rotate the mesh until you match the HP again.
  • apebit
    Offline / Send Message
    apebit node
    Andreicus said:
    If it doesn't work:

Select the LP ---> select the HP ---> modify---> match transformations ---> match all transforms

Or simply move the pivot point of the LP to the center of the base of the mesh ---> snap it with the center of the base of the HP ---> transformations should be ok now ---> rotate the mesh until you match the HP again.
    Well if it was as easy as ctrl+z i wouldn't have wrote here :D

Match transforms doesn't work after freeze transforms, that's why I'm looking for other solutions.

It's not really possible to move the low poly to the middle vert of HP because it has millions of verts :D so manual overlapping isn't really an option + it's not perfect so the baking would most probably still be off :(

Still need a solution :(
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Did you import your low poly into zbrush? Maybe that file is somewhere around still?
    Beyond that you might just have to eyeball it.
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    apebit said:
    Andreicus said:
    If it doesn't work:

Well if it was as easy as ctrl+z i wouldn't have wrote here :D

Match transforms doesn't work after freeze transforms, that's why I'm looking for other solutions.

It's not really possible to move the low poly to the middle vert of HP because it has millions of verts :D so manual overlapping isn't really an option + it's not perfect so the baking would most probably still be off :(

Still need a solution :(
    Yeah well, i said CTRL+Z because i set up 200 undos so i can go back a lot of times without worrying about memory leaks ( instead of putting it to infinite ) and it saves me in the majority of the cases.

Anyway why you don't simply select both the LP and HP and move them to the world origin using the absolut transform ? Simply put 0,0,0 and they will go to the world origin.
    After that simply rotate one of the 2 if needed.
    Then move them again where you want them to be.
    Just be sure to have the pivot in the same position on both meshes.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    additionally to mentioned solutions above, try the pivot tools in bonus tools. There is tool to snap pivot to bottom or top x,y,z, then snap to origin and zero local values. So, if the two objects are the same (except ones high poly), you do a snap pivot to bottom y on both and then snap to origin, and they'll match perfectly.