Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sekhmet Barista

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Updated:

Last fall, I went to a local casual art/sketching meetup and met a friend who was interested in Sekhmet. The people there suggested I combine the Sekhmet Egyptian Goddess concept with that of a Barista, and so I first drew a sketch from imagination. At the time, I said I would take this further into 3D, and now with more free time in my schedule, I've decided to finish this project.

Here was the original mood board I quickly put together a while ago (with the original coloured drawing done with markers, and the pencil drawing I did later based on the photo reference to the right):

Here's the photo reference I am using for the vial attached to her belt:

If anyone has any constructive comments or suggestions, I would appreciate them. Thanks. :)

Replies

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update - Tue. Apr. 23, 2019: Finished the character model with costume, accessories and Egyptian Coffee staff. Everything altogether is about 10.5K polys. :)

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Mon. May 27, 2019: Added some base colours. Going to paint over this for a better concept art before I go further into the 3D pipeline. :smile:

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Wed. May 29, 2019: Concept Art Paintover :)

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Tue. June 4, 2019: Resumed texturing. Adjusted the overall colour scheme and cleaned up some areas by hand-painting them after an initial diffuse texture bake. :smile:

• ChiNguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChiNguyen greentooth
    I think your combination is interesting but when I first saw this I only saw the Egyptian goddess side. The only thing that shows that this goddess is also a barista is the staff. In other words is barista theme is being overshadowed. Have you thought about making more iterations?
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    ChiNguyen said:
    I think your combination is interesting but when I first saw this I only saw the Egyptian goddess side. The only thing that shows that this goddess is also a barista is the staff. In other words is barista theme is being overshadowed. Have you thought about making more iterations?
    Thanks for the feedback! I will take another look at the design and see if I can put more of the "Barista" theme then :smile:

Edit: Quick update, added an apron and a small t-shirt underneath to see if that helps push the "Barista" concept more:

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Fri. June 7, 2019: Added details to the texture. May make some additional colour adjustments and variations next. :)

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Mon. June 10, 2019: Made some colour adjustments to the texture, and did an "idle" animation. Now currently working on a walk animation cycle :smile:

Updated: Rough Walk cycle. Trying to get the animations to be smoother, any advice? The loop currently has 33 frames. Thanks :)

• ChiNguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChiNguyen greentooth
    Your idle animation is very uniform. Offsetting some of the movements will help it a lot because body parts don't move and stop at the same time like that. As for the walk cycle it's a decent start. You'll need to translate your root more because when you walk you lean left and right to put weight on the legs in order to balance. The jerkiness in the animation might be cause be various things like too many key frames or your tangents aren't cleaned up. Which 3D software are you using to animate with?
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    ChiNguyen said:
    Your idle animation is very uniform. Offsetting some of the movements will help it a lot because body parts don't move and stop at the same time like that. As for the walk cycle it's a decent start. You'll need to translate your root more because when you walk you lean left and right to put weight on the legs in order to balance. The jerkiness in the animation might be cause be various things like too many key frames or your tangents aren't cleaned up. Which 3D software are you using to animate with?
    Hi ChiNguyen, I'm using Maya LT. I can certainly tweak the movements on both animations. I posted in the Technical Talk forum about the issues I'm currently having with the animations on the model.

I tried to keep the number of keyframes to a minimum but I may start over on the Walk cycle if it's better.