Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chiappa Rhino 60ds

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mendicantes polycounter lvl 6
I know there are tons of Rhinos. I just made my version with some slight tweaks of original design. Critics and comments are welcome !

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/N5Kwa5

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I think the textures on this can still be improved by adding more variation. You can take a look at this previous thread to see other artists' advice on gun texturing.

Also, there's a recent 80 level article on lighting and presentation of guns. Might be useful.
  • Mendicantes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the textures on this can still be improved by adding more variation. You can take a look at this previous thread to see other artists' advice on gun texturing.

Also, there's a recent 80 level article on lighting and presentation of guns. Might be useful.
    thank you very much! Thats pretty useful, sorry for a late responce. Having troubles with my health. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This looks really super. I cant really see if this is hi or lo poly :smile: a wire would be nice!
  • Mendicantes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    This looks really super. I cant really see if this is hi or lo poly :smile: a wire would be nice!
    thank you! There is last one in at the end of presentation at artstation that shows the wireframe. But made some screenshots for you. Here you go. Might be too dense for a low poly model. Im not aware of how modern studios make weapons. This one is 14k tris.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks for the peek!
    I have no idea what the going budget for weapon assets is, but one look suggests you have varied the res over the model really well. Probably you modeled in some details on the lo that might not be necessary, but the end result is top.

Real cool work and final render.
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @Mendicantes

Good silhouette defining features, and solid modeling!  Not sure if you are intending this for game-ready situations, but at a moderate distance, it doesn't seem like a bake at all. What I mean by that is simply that your edge bevels from your high-res are super, super tight, and can only be seen up close. In most renders, it becomes razor sharp, and loses its edge width.

In terms of topology, you were very generous to cylinders, which is nice, but maybe a bit too many segments. Especially for elements that wouldn't benefit from that. You can definitely remove/collapse/weld a lot of loops to bring your resolution down much further, while not ruining silhouette/features at all.

(applies to the entire model, not just the highlighted areas, they're examples :smile: )

Hope this helps a bit!

• Mendicantes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    @Mendicantes

Good silhouette defining features, and solid modeling!  Not sure if you are intending this for game-ready situations, but at a moderate distance, it doesn't seem like a bake at all. What I mean by that is simply that your edge bevels from your high-res are super, super tight, and can only be seen up close. In most renders, it becomes razor sharp, and loses its edge width.

In terms of topology, you were very generous to cylinders, which is nice, but maybe a bit too many segments. Especially for elements that wouldn't benefit from that. You can definitely remove/collapse/weld a lot of loops to bring your resolution down much further, while not ruining silhouette/features at all.

(applies to the entire model, not just the highlighted areas, they're examples :smile: )

Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you! I didn't ever work for a gaming studio, all the stuff learned by myself. Want to join some game development project very much and I feel like your tips will come in handy.

Yeah I made that cylinder of the front sight with 24 sides. Just in case if the player will be aiming via "right click" (as in modern shooters) he wont get something ugly blocky looking in front of his eyes.
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    if the player will be aiming via "right click" (as in modern shooters) he wont get something ugly blocky looking in front of his eyes.
    Yeah, totally! iron sights benefit from that for sure. There's elements that don't at all however, like the barrel end + inside the barrel. Precious triangles!
  • Mendicantes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    if the player will be aiming via "right click" (as in modern shooters) he wont get something ugly blocky looking in front of his eyes.
    Yeah, totally! iron sights benefit from that for sure. There's elements that don't at all however, like the barrel end + inside the barrel. Precious triangles!
    Noted :). As I see from your artstation you work for Ubisoft ? Can we chat about working for game studious ? 
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Kanni3d said:
    Noted :). As I see from your artstation you work for Ubisoft ? Can we chat about working for game studious ? 
    Sure, feel free to PM me on Artstation!