Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Generalist Portfolio(s) - Critique and advice for an aspiring developer?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Wakamash polycounter lvl 6
Check them both! They don't show the same projects...
Artstation: https://shanel-richardson.artstation.com/ 
Offline portfolio (what I've actually been sending to employers): https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1EPTokxYDAi75B_cseoAjMcdKu1ySO88olgNHZBSYzB0/edit?usp=sharing

Hello and thanks for clicking!
I'm a 3D Generalist with my strongest skills in modelling, texturing and material creation. I'm currently looking to break into the industry in any which way I can; games, animation, interior visualisation, etc., I'm really not fussed because I find them all fun and I'm genuinely interested in learning - which is why I'm a generalist I guess! My true passion however, lies with games and making my own; so I've become well-acquainted with Unreal Engine and intend to learn Unity - I'm just not sure if now's the time to make a game... or is it?

I gathered that it's difficult to break into the industry as a generalist and I was warned as such, but I know it's possible- even if I have to narrow my interests/skills down a little and improve specifics. I know that I should improve my portfolio, the question is how; what do I work on? Should I just churn out some simpler, smaller projects to focus on quality? Should I just focus on modelling or something else? Should I make a simple game?

I'm really stumped on what angle to come from, and what steps to do next... I have ideas for projects but I want to take a step back and listen before wasting anymore time.
Thank you so much for reading!

P.S: Is it better to send an Artstation or Google Slideshow for my portfolio? I figured the slideshow gives me more control over what's seen but idk if it's more/less professional - if it doesn't make a difference then don't mind me :sweat_smile:

P.P.S: I'm sending this as I'm about to sleep so I'll reply tomorrow to any kind soul who replies to this :joy:

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, best of luck with the job hunt :)

- Use ArtStation for your portfolio 100%.
    - Don't be a generalist if you're trying to get into the industry. You've gotta be top class at something in order to break in, and you can't be top class while still learning so many other things.
    - What you focus on is up to you. It should be what you want your future job to be in. When trying to decide on a future job, also think about what studios are around you, where you're able/willing to travel to, etc.

Find some pro artists you really like and look at their portfolios. Aim for that quality. *Join a community.* There are plenty of Discord communities for 3D modeling; Polycount, Dinusty come to mind. There is a Greentooth Slack chat for Polycount. The more you talk with professional artists, the more guided you will be towards being employable. Keep posting your art on this forum, I look forward to seeing it!
  • JesseL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah upload only your best works to artstation, theres absolutely no downsides and a load of upsides. Dont put text or anything else in there make your entire focus on the assets/work itself, if someone is that interested they can read the description. Also focus on the end product then jump into the technical details as the entire point is create something functional and beautiful so showing the end result is a must
  • Wakamash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, best of luck with the job hunt :)

- Use ArtStation for your portfolio 100%.
    - Don't be a generalist if you're trying to get into the industry. You've gotta be top class at something in order to break in, and you can't be top class while still learning so many other things.
    - What you focus on is up to you. It should be what you want your future job to be in. When trying to decide on a future job, also think about what studios are around you, where you're able/willing to travel to, etc.

Find some pro artists you really like and look at their portfolios. Aim for that quality. *Join a community.* There are plenty of Discord communities for 3D modeling; Polycount, Dinusty come to mind. There is a Greentooth Slack chat for Polycount. The more you talk with professional artists, the more guided you will be towards being employable. Keep posting your art on this forum, I look forward to seeing it!
    Thank you so much for your reply and advice! 

I've been making more of an effort to actually post my stuff on forums and in groups because I realise it's important and invaluable to have a helpful community (like this one!) so I'll definitely make more of an effort with that 😊

Since I want to work on games I've been modelling game assets mainly, so I think I'll continue with that more aggressively to at least focus my work into a category.
    Thanks!
  • Wakamash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL said:
    Yeah upload only your best works to artstation, theres absolutely no downsides and a load of upsides. Dont put text or anything else in there make your entire focus on the assets/work itself, if someone is that interested they can read the description. Also focus on the end product then jump into the technical details as the entire point is create something functional and beautiful so showing the end result is a must

Thank you, that makes total sense! I've heard that you should only show your best pieces even if you only have one. What pieces do you think I should take out, if any?
  • JesseL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    Start with the last Frame, top right. Bearded lady, 3rd slide lady and anything else you like. But remember to try and put your best foot forward

Try to put some time into setting them up, do lighting, perhaps a small environment/ground etc... enough so its professional and presentable. If you need ideas look up some creators you like on artstation and see what they are doing
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I agree completely with @Ashervisalis 's advice. My own piece is that if you are considering the games industry, go seek out the portfolios of recently hired Junior artists. Critically observe their work and compare it to your own to gauge the level you need to rise up to. It's often said that a Juniors work needs to be on par quality wise with a Senior artist. The only distinction being that the Senior likely works quicker (less iteration time) and generally has more experience with the overall production pipeline. It's a long road, wish you luck
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    If going for games I would suggest looking into the work quality of Dekogon studio artists and aim for either props or environments or whatever you are passionate about creating.
    if going for Hollywood vfx / arch viz I would recommend checking out Andrew Hodgson portfolio and his guides on how to get into the vfx industry as a 3d modeller.
    Dont write too much text, description on AS should be enough. People hiring dont have time to read as they are going through 1000s of applications. 

Lastly I would say look into developing your skills in scale / human ergonomics area, your room environment art looks out of proportions floor tiles are too big, seats too small, table too big etc. Use a human (biped 3ds max) model as base reference. 

• Wakamash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see! Thank you all, so the main points that recur are:

- Observe artists at a similar job position or higher
    - Cut down the text and focus more on visual impact
    - Artstation rather than google slides 
    -Work on finished, higher quality pieces and/or improve the current ones
    -Talk to others and get feedback

Thanks a ton! 😊
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Boom, you nailed it. Follow those points and you'll make gains. For a bit more reinforcement, read these fantastic articles by @PixelMasherhttps://www.polygon-academy.com/
  • Wakamash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boom, you nailed it. Follow those points and you'll make gains. For a bit more reinforcement, read these fantastic articles by @PixelMasherhttps://www.polygon-academy.com/

Ooh, I've not heard of polygon academy before. This is just what I needed, thank you! 🙏
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Shanel i think most points have been covered already. One thing i like to add is you might want to have a peek into the modding community. When i was still young the scene was quite active and there were quite some interesting projects to join. Took some tries to find a good team, but in the end that was totally worth it as it felt like an actual dev team. The work i did there also helped me to get my first internship at a game studio.

moddb.com is a good site to get an overview whats out there.

Once you are in a studio you can always learn new things and eventually fill the role of a generalist. In my case i started out as an environment artist and eventually branched out making also characters and ui works. Most likely thats possible in smaller studios though.

good luck!
  • Wakamash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 said:
    Hi Shanel i think most points have been covered already. One thing i like to add is you might want to have a peek into the modding community. When i was still young the scene was quite active and there were quite some interesting projects to join. Took some tries to find a good team, but in the end that was totally worth it as it felt like an actual dev team. The work i did there also helped me to get my first internship at a game studio.

moddb.com is a good site to get an overview whats out there.

Once you are in a studio you can always learn new things and eventually fill the role of a generalist. In my case i started out as an environment artist and eventually branched out making also characters and ui works. Most likely thats possible in smaller studios though.

good luck!
    Yeah I've been contemplating joining a game project or something like that! I haven't heard of moddb so I'll definitely check it out - thank you! :blush: