Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2019: How to use Perspective Match for Vehicle Modelling?

Crazy Old Dave
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Crazy Old Dave polycounter lvl 8
Hi, I've spent a long time modelling an MX5 from scratch by referencing blue prints and photos I've taken of my own car. But I was given the advice to use perspective match to make a basic silhouette and get the curves and form right. Before breaking the model down into panels and smaller components. So now I've decided to model the whole thing again from scratch. x'D
However I can't figure out how to best use this tool in relation to my work. I see people using it for architecture and match the perspective lines up very easily. I can't understand for my workflow if I need to match to the outside world to ground the perspective or if I need to match it to the car which isn't easy.
As such I can't trust what I'm doing but I can't not model using this tool because every other way of vehicle modelling feels wrong to me now. Any advice or feedback would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Matching foto plates is a lot of handwork. There is no magic way. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Modeling from ortho blueprints is the best way to model something like this. Honesty, it doesn't make sense to try and set up the perspective match. Orthos are the most accurate. Plus you have the real car sitting there so you can take measurements and check that against your model.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    No its not. Blueprints are wrong and outdated. They are designs and never look like the finished car. Trust me we modeled hundreds of AAA vehicles.

You can start with blueprints but after a view hours switch to fotos. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @oglu I'm talking about orthos vs the perspective match idea OP is asking about specifically. Obviously a library of photos from every conceivable angle goes without saying for modeling anything detailed. 

When I say blueprints I mean the main form silhouette and major form/panel lines.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Agreed! Orthos are only good to check the main lines but without matching cameras to fotos you wont be able to get the precision needed.