Home Technical Talk

Marvellous Designer - Help with baggy clothing.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
SimãoSilva polycounter lvl 8
Hi I've been messing around with Marvellous Designer for a few days, I'im making a character model for a class in uni and want to achieve the baggy type of clothing in an astronauts Advanced Crew Escape Suit.

But until now ill I've gotten is this, how can i make them more "baggy" as all the extra fabric goes down.
would making a mesh under it to give the bulkiness be a better solution ?

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    MD is a ripping app! Its been a while unfortunately. From memory you can adjust the material thickness which controls the wrinkles. I think that is under one of the menus. You can also use pins to control points where the material hangs from to get just the effect you want. Youtube is full of excellent tutorials on this.

Have fun!
  • SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimãoSilva polycounter lvl 8
    thank you ! i kinda kept messing around and got some more progress, its being fun i got to admit, even tho i want to work more in environments, i can see the use of this for textures or even to make some pretty cool props !
    ended up giving up and going the zbrush route and using marvellous as a base mesh !

even gave him a back pack :p
    im liking the z brush approach to to give it a more stylized look, but this is a fun learning process !

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great you are enjoying it! I reckon you can get more of what you want in MD tho. Just have to make your clothing baggier. The parts that are wrinkled are to large for the form. So make the trousers longer than the leg and thicker. You can edit the pattern and run a simulation, and by using pins you can alter how the material bunches. Also try out different materials for a change in stiffness.

I pulled out the right leg pattern and ran a simulation just as a test.
    In the final model I ditched the jacket and part of the trouser pipe but MD gave me plenty of clues about folds. I couldnt find earlier versions of tjhe tool with the jacket #$%&!

I exported a final version from MD and imported it into ZB. Then to make sculpting easier I retopoed the cloth and projected it onto the MD import. Then with sculpting on the ZB mesh I could use the transfered info from MD as a really good base.