Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UNITY] Goldfish in Flooded Cellar - Critique welcome

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
tinyworlds polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone! I'm working on a little 3D environment diorama. It's based on a flooded cellar in Philadelphia that's populated by goldfish.
I want to improve my skills with making realistic graphics. Specifically my Substance Designer skills & modular workflow.

If you have time to comment & leave some critical feedback that would be greatly appreciated :)

(Image source)

I do like the contrast of the urban setting with the natural life that is not supposed to be here :) Want to capture this with this piece. Plus I think there is some nice potential for storytelling here! How did they get here? How do they survive?
So far I have blocked in the environment & are currently working on some materials.

Oh and I made some tadpole friends! Rigged highpoly in Blender, baked down on a flat plane. Ingame I mix the static tadpoles with some swimming animated ones.

Goldfishes yet to be made c:

Replies

• tinyworlds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more goodies/ insights! :)

For sampling the colors for my dirt material, I took my own source photos this time around. Will eventually update the concrete as well for sake of continuity.
    I use manual white balance with a gray card to get accurate colors. I then sample the colors via a gradient map in Substance Designer.

The rocks for the material itself are part of a separate utility node :) 

Oh, also I did a little bit of photoscanning for the project, but don't think I'll use it :)
    Initially I thought about making scan-based textures (or hybrid materials), but I decided to go for fully procedural ones.

Oh and here are some stylized goldfish! In the very beginning I thought of making this in a stylized artstyle. However I wanted to make something realistic again :)

The fish are 3D - 2 shells (inner/outer), both with opacity in some areas. Wanted to create a feeling of brushstrokes :)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    reeally interesting, looking forward to more
  • tinyworlds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @Alex Javor : )
    Made a new brick material today. Was my 7th or so try at one within the last week. Think I'm finally happy : ) If you have some feedback how to further push this material that would be greatly appreciated : ) 100% Substance Designer Reference: https://www.textures.com/download/3dscans0393/132962

Thanks to BMT on the DiNusty Discord for pointing me towards how sometimes brick has shiny iron parts enclosed. Was nice to add some variation to the roughness : ) (reference: https://baltimorebrickbybrick.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/iron-spot-face.jpg)
  • tinyworlds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple of WIP Materials! Industrial window with embedded chicken wire & the base material for the central rusty door.

My reference photoscan had grafitti-like carvings, which I thought looked really nice :) Not sure if I'll keep it for the final material. The bottom is gonna be masked out in Painter later - I want holes in there for the fish to swim trough (as in 2nd image).

Reference source

I do have the materials almost complete. Still gotta finish the two up I posted & create some algae material for vertex painting.
  • ray40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ray40 polycounter lvl 4
    I like the subject, but the image looks a little flat, maybe the lighting or the shaders, or both. The bricks looked pretty good on your making off but on this image they look like a photo collage. Also some edges are too sharp (brick wall border)
  • tinyworlds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ray40 Lol you mean the last image? That's my reference photo :D
  • ray40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ray40 polycounter lvl 4
    @tinyworlds lol! no comments then hahahaha. it seriously looks like old 3d
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @ray40 I mean, its technically an image of a 3d scene :smile:

Looking forward to seeing this progress, its an interesting idea
  • tinyworlds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ray40 I see what you mean haha xD
    @CybranM Thank you : )

Gonna work a bit more on the materials & then go back to block-out, as I feel I haven't spent enough time on this yet.
  • tinyworlds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't do as much progress as I'd like on this recently, but here is a render of the brick in the scene : )

I've been also working on the door and started the goldfish.

The door has rust where the water is usually standing and some holes in the bottom where the fish swim trough.
    My reference also had smashed in windows, where they put in a lock trough later.
    And lastly here is a bit of fun with the rust Substance. In my reference someone etched their name in the door, which turned to rust.

Thanks for looking, feedback is welcome as always :)