Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finished UE4 Drone Control Ship

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
HI Polycount members, Calling this one done.  

Project Check Points / Dream list
  1. Interior of ship @ 100%
  2. Exterior of ship @ 100%
  3. lighting interior @ 10%
  4. Landscape @ 100%
  5. lighting exterior @ 100%
  6. Extra vehicle in scene (buggy) Failed
  7. Props for interior @ 100 %
  8. Buildings @ 100%
  9. Cockpit details and animations @ Failed
  10. Atmospherics @ 100%
Finished Images

Design Iteration 

Drone Design and Marmoset Render.

WIP of Ship

Interior Cargo Hold Shot in UE4 , Lighting is place holder atm so excuse the imperfections. 

Placeholder Lighting and textures so this is going to change, thanks

Thats it for now, will be updating as i go, so see you again before to long. Thanks

Replies

• jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing the opening to the forward cargo bay using some animations, testing for clipping and generally how the opening will work. 

• jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    The ship structure is pretty much complete but i am looking to decorate the ship with micro details at some stage. I started to Unwrap today, continuing this over the weekend. I am also looking at the mood i want to capture inside UE4.

• jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwrapping commences today, I enjoy it! 

• jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update, UV'd the top of the exterior and started to texture using substance Painter. 

• griffitii
    Offline / Send Message
    griffitii greentooth
    Hey man, this is looking great. I particularly like how organic the exterior looks! I would say that the interior doesn't really match the exterior (looks very modular and not organic in shape). I'd create areas of rest along the walls to break it up and help lead the eye to areas of detail. I also like your completion breakdown too.
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    @griffitii hey, cheers for the comment was useful to get a fresh pair of eyes. Yes the corridor needs a rework will have a think about how I can make it organic. Everything is very much work in progress. So it's cool to get opinions at this stage.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    It looks really nice, but it has a problem for me: readability. 
    Simply by the base shape of the ship there is nothing which tells me that it's drone carrier/control ship. No visible hangar(doors), no control center, no communication array (at least none which could be identified as one). 
    Don't get me wrong, the shapes are nice, the mix of organic and mechanic shapes is a nice twist, but I miss a visible role/purpose for this ship. And this should be, at best, already be visible from the silhouette.
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dethling thanks for your feed back.
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    Update- the ship is sitting in the landscape in UE4. There are no objects to determine scale at the moment, so that will come with the next update. A landing platform is in the works along with many other things.

• TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I really like the desert environment. Looking forward for more updates.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Dethling said:
    It looks really nice, but it has a problem for me: readability. 
    Simply by the base shape of the ship there is nothing which tells me that it's drone carrier/control ship. No visible hangar(doors), no control center, no communication array (at least none which could be identified as one). 
    Don't get me wrong, the shapes are nice, the mix of organic and mechanic shapes is a nice twist, but I miss a visible role/purpose for this ship. And this should be, at best, already be visible from the silhouette.
    Yep, same here. The design and model work looks top notch! I couldnt see what the model was by the thumbnail. It looks like the detail distribution is pretty good. Maybe the texture/diffuse is hiding the form. In reality this is just what you would want. Great work, but not that readable.
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input @kanga , i have wrapped up the project now. Calling it a success all in all :)