Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - March & April 2019 (59)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
kadeschui greentooth
Welcome, all! Time to kick off the next Monthly Environment & Prop Challenge for 2019!

Thanks to all those who voted for this Challenge - it's always more fun when the community chimes in! :)

Remember if you don't finish in the time allotted, just keep plugging away and post when your work is finished. There's always some good progress that falls off the radar - we want to see your work! So keep going and finish those pieces!

Without further ado, here are our options for Challenge 59:

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE CATEGORY:

artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/N552gJ

HAND PAINTED CATEGORY:

artist:unknown

- PROPS -

HAND PAINTED CATEGORY:

artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/vvyOY

HARD SURFACE CATEGORY:

artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZJwd8

If you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down. 

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag is allowed as well)
  • You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums. 
  • I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close. 
  • Well, that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let me know. As always, please feel free to provide feedback / suggestions in this thread or by messaging me directly.

All that matters is that you learn while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• analogous
    Offline / Send Message
    analogous polycounter lvl 4

Decided to start breaking down the items down to each part,
    I wanted to leave this here in case anyone else is missing or adding anything new since while it looks simple theres a lot of eye into each detail! 

It's my first time doing this kind of challenge, I look forward to seeing other people's work!
    I plan on posting a block out later this upcoming weekend!

edit: forgot to mention but I'll be making a stylized version of the cart so it'll have more exaggerated parts!
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    @analogous good start so far! love the ref photos! 
  • Dieedi
    Offline / Send Message
    Dieedi node
    Hi,

For the hardsurface environment, the link below the concept doesn't seem to be the good one.
  • Rossua
    Offline / Send Message
    Rossua polycounter lvl 3

So I've tried to break down the scene into two parts. Green for modular elements, these also have simple geometry. Red for unique assets, these also look more complex.
    I have a couple of goals for this project:
    1. To meet the brief and recreate this scene
    2. To keep the amount of assets in scene to around 15 (which i think is reasonable)
    3. To extend the scene into a circular room with my modular assets, providing i have enough time.

• kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Dieedi said:
    Hi,

For the hardsurface environment, the link below the concept doesn't seem to be the good one.
    Thanks for the heads up - updated!

kade
  • manuelfuentes13
    Offline / Send Message
    manuelfuentes13 polycounter lvl 6

So I've just started blocking out the main shapes of the hardsurface environment. Might have to figure out if I just want to do a round room where the same elements repeat, or design the area outside the camera frame as part of a larger environment.
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo_Elliott polycounter lvl 4
    @manuelfuentes13 Looks like a great start to your Environment!  I am creating the scene using a number of modular pieces and while I was trying to block out this environment like I normally do... It just was not working, I kept getting the room proportions off and getting held up trying to make it perfect.   I will post progress shots soon.
  • jeffry
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffry polycounter lvl 3
    hello, i am new to the forum, i don't see any time limit or deadlines for this challenge, and do i just need to post in here if i want to join it or do i have to accepted it on another section of the page?
  • Decordova360
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    @jeffry Typically its the last day of the Challenge Month, in this case it would be last day of April 2019. However you are not required to rush the work in to meet the challenge deadline as life happens, some work FT jobs, etc, so its best to put as much time and detail as you can at your own pace. Eventually you will grow in speed and workflow. You can submit Work In Progress (WIP) as you move forward into the work piece on whatever schedule you feel fit, but I recommend not flooding the thread on small changes unless for advice as its been a thing on Polycount for a while LOLOL.
    Hope this helps and sorry for the long response. Looking forward to the work submitted. :smile:
  • jeffry
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffry polycounter lvl 3
    @Decordova360 thanks for the info, don't need to apologize you answered everything i needed to ask :) i will just choose one of the reference and start my model than  B)
  • jeffry
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffry polycounter lvl 3
    I choose the gun, i don't usually block out my models, instead i just model piece by piece, trying to not put too many details that i could maybe add later with high poly or texture, it's kinda hard to guess the thickness of the gun with this reference so i will to come out with my own, what do you think so far? i know the bottom piece might be with too many poly compared to the top one but i was trying get the round/sharp shape straight away
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work so far. 
    For the thickness of a gun I would look for a cylinder at the gun (normally I use the bullets), from this you can estimate the thickness. 
    In this case I would use the red part in the middle of the gun (and the are behind it).

I pick the hard surface environment challenge with the focus on using a mid-poly workflow for it (so no unique textures, everything should be textured with tilling textures and floating decals).

I started with the machines because I think they define the size of the rest of the room.
    The rough blockout was quite complicated due to the lack of different viewing angles.

Edit: Did some corrections thanks to the feedback from my awesome girlfriend. :)

• Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Still working on the scene blockout, the other pictures at the artists artstation website are very helpful to get the scale and general shapes in the right way:

The sizes aren't 100% right yet, but I think it's a good start. 
  • manuelfuentes13
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress @Dethling maybe scale up everything a little bit in relation to the human scale and you should be closer to the reference.
    for this update I detailed a little bit more the big machines, they should only need a little bit more small details and I can move on to detailing the other elements. 

• Bakuwo
    Hi everyone ! Here is the beginning of my props creation.

• Linkiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Linkiel polycounter lvl 7
    Great start y'all! :) Here's my blocking for the handpainted one:

• PastyPict
    Offline / Send Message
    PastyPict polycounter lvl 4
    Great work so far everyone! I have chosen the hand painted environment.
    Here is my progress so far for the blocking.
    I am planning on having the environment fully enclosed, so that one could walk around immersed. I may settle for only the walls that are in the concept art for time sake if need be.

• Waltz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waltz polycounter lvl 7
    Gonna give the gun a try, I got most everything blocked out. Still trying to figure out how to inside of the barrel works. 

@jeffry For the thickness, I started with the cylinders and handle and just kinda went from there. be careful you don't go too high poly at the start, it will make things harder to adjust if things don't line up the way you expect. 

• jeffry
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffry polycounter lvl 3
    @Waltz wow that's really amazing i am not finished yet but i am really close to start texturing, how did you made the part where the metal is joined together? did you high poly to low? i would love to see your wireframe it will be totally cleaner than mine XD

• jeffry
  • Waltz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waltz polycounter lvl 7
    @jeffry

Here's the wireframe, it's a bit of a mess at the moment, most of it is still low poly. For the renders, I used blenders bevel shader. The welds are just cylinders with a displacement modifier. I'll probably switch out the texture for something that looks more like welds but it works for now. 
  • jeffry
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffry polycounter lvl 3
    @Waltz that's a nice approach, mine it's already set as high with 160k poly, probably could had done less tbf, and for the welded  part i was thinking of just using a brush on substance painter with height map on it
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I've started modeling the more detailed props and I have actually decided to take on the larger environment in the Artstation post, it is almost identical except for the middle area, I have done well so far, last week I didn't get much done because of personal things but I'm back and swinging! I have finished a preliminary range of assets over on my Artstation --- Check it out in my signature
  • jeffry
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffry polycounter lvl 3
    Hello, this is my submission for the gun, i kinda had to rush it since i have some uni project to finish, let me know what you think :) turn around on my Artstation page https://www.artstation.com/jeffry3d rendered in marmoset
  • Linkiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Wooh Waltz & Jeffry, your guns are so cool! Love them :)
    Still working on my scene, I added many things and have even more to come!

• manuelfuentes13
    Offline / Send Message
    Started putting the assets in unreal with a basic lighting setup, very inspired by some mass effect references. Still have to texture and detail the room (floor, roof,walls) and add some more detail to the props. 

@Linkiel Loving that scene so far!

• manuelfuentes13
    Offline / Send Message

I'm going to call it done for now, I used a trim sheet to texture wall, roof and floor elements, something I hadn't done before and wanted to use this scene to test out that technique.
    Didn't go into too much detail for the objects so they don't look that great on close ups.but rather focused on getting it looking good from the main camera angle. 
    I used a lot of references from mass effect andromeda for the feel and lighting of the scene.

• lockey1995
    Offline / Send Message
    lockey1995 polycounter lvl 5

I'm going to call it done for now, I used a trim sheet to texture wall, roof and floor elements, something I hadn't done before and wanted to use this scene to test out that technique.
    Didn't go into too much detail for the objects so they don't look that great on close ups.but rather focused on getting it looking good from the main camera angle. 
    I used a lot of references from mass effect andromeda for the feel and lighting of the scene.

Beautiful still curious on how to make these trim sheets are they actually modeled and baked?
  • AFsoft
    Offline / Send Message
    AFsoft polycounter lvl 8

Beautiful still curious on how to make these trim sheets are they actually modeled and baked?
    looks he/she/they used quixel Ndo. make the shapes, uv and then normal texture etc 
  • manuelfuentes13
    Offline / Send Message
    @lockey1995
    Modeled high poly in max, then baked  using a plane as the low poly in substance painter to get the trim texture. 
  • Nasser
    Offline / Send Message
    Nasser polycounter lvl 12
    Really cool work with the trim sheets. I need to try that method out as well. 

Also thank you @Waltz for the displacement modifier tip, I used that for the welds as well, really nice way of doing it. 

I couldn't figure out the texture on the grip and the red cap was tricky for me to figure out. Either way I learnt some new tricks with Substance Painter and texturing in general so it was time well spent. Can't wait for the next challenge, hopefully I'll get it done quicker and better. Rendered in Marmoset (also another program I'm just getting familiar with)

• manuelfuentes13
    Offline / Send Message
    @nasser Nice job, those weld turned out pretty good!
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Offline / Send Message
    Not Sure If I will be finished by then end of the month, I am gonna be taking my time... but here is what I have right now
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Hey all, the new voting thread is up here:

https://polycount.com/discussion/210844/monthly-environment-art-challenge-concept-thread-may-and-june-2019/p1?new=1

Head over and vote for/submit your favorite concepts!

kade
  • hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7

Hi guys, kinda late to the party, but heres my take on the gun
    hopefully I can finish the texture on the weekend

• Linkiel
    Offline / Send Message
    All finished! Really enjoyed doing this challenge, hope you'll like it!
    Any feedbacks are welcome.

You can see more here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OyXq0e
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    @hasgan really nice base model, looking forward to seeing the finished textures!

Wow! @Linkiel you really went all in on the modeling - the attention to detail with all the props really shows. Nice work :)

Just dropping a line to let everyone know the new Challenge Thread for May and June is available here:

https://polycount.com/discussion/211086/monthly-environment-art-challenge-may-june-2019-60#latest
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Offline / Send Message
    This here will be my final submission for this project! I am still working on the overall environment though and I have a WIP thread going if your interested in what the center of the room looks like! I really hope you all like! I went for a more clean, colorful and vibrant take for this scene. I spent a lot of attention to localized reflections and lighting. Thanks all!

--- That looks beautiful @Linkiel I really love the cool tone of the color pallet that draws the room together and puts emphasis on lighting, shading and nuanced details.

--- @m@manuelfuentes13 I really like your take on the scene as well as your approach to the lighting as it leaves a dark, mysterious vibe to the lab that I enjoy a lot!
  • hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    at last finished with the textures!! phew! I reckon I need to put a lot of small details (maybe I did put too much details). finally I can say I finished with it. though if I have more time maybe I'll spend on the other side of the gun, but for right now I think I need change focus before coming back again..

so here goes:

more on my artstation

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    gazman162 polycounter lvl 9
    @hasgan This is looking wicked dude! One thing that stands out to me is the paint on the yellow end of the gun is sitting lower than your metal. If it's textured in Substance it should be as easy as adjusting the value of the height for the paint layer so it sits above the metal :)
  • hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    gazman162 said:
    @hasgan This is looking wicked dude! One thing that stands out to me is the paint on the yellow end of the gun is sitting lower than your metal. If it's textured in Substance it should be as easy as adjusting the value of the height for the paint layer so it sits above the metal :)
    holy crap you're right. will fix it asap. thanks alot @gazman162

• Ben_Hawkins
    Hey guys, I know this is super late but I figured I'd post anyway. I didn't end up starting until the challenge was almost over but I loved the concept weapon.

artstation 
    https://www.artstation.com/ben_bh90