Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Updated] Railgun

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Update - Fri. Apr. 19, 2019: Published this to my Artstation and moving on to another project. :)

Artstation page:

Sketchfab:

Hello Polycount folks, I'm currently finishing up the textures for a sci-fi railgun 3D model which I created for a school project, of which I also designed the concept art. This is one of the few projects of mine where I've managed to create both a decent concept and 3D model, so I am very looking forward to having this done soon and will feature it on my portfolio. In this project, I am going for a clean, stylized or hand-painted look. :smile:

Since I have been getting back into the swing of 3D modelling, I thought I should start posting here and participate in the forums. Please take a look at the work I've done so far, I'd love to hear some good feedback or constructive criticism. Thanks :)

By the way, the thing in the centre inside the silver canister will be used to create some "spark" effects on an alpha layer (with transparency in the background of the texture). The idea is that this is some high-tech way of catalyzing the particle to be projected through the barrel at very high speeds. the cylinder at the bottom is the "ammo" cartridge which slides in along the slanted guard of the handle.

FPS View:

UVs:

Replies

• Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Hey!
    The model of the gun looks decent. Just the textures could use some work. I am not sure what style you are after. Would suggest to look up for some references and add scratches, dirt, etc. You could use even real guns as reference.
    Good luck!
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Grubber said:
    Hey!
    The model of the gun looks decent. Just the textures could use some work. I am not sure what style you are after. Would suggest to look up for some references and add scratches, dirt, etc. You could use even real guns as reference.
    Good luck!
    Hi Grubber, thanks for your comment. It's been a while since I started this project but I'll be wrapping it up this week now that I have more spare time. I've added some scratches and grunge to the texture, and did a rough presentation of how I would like the central effects to look like.

I'm going to watch a tutorial video on the topic of hand-painting a gun like this, and study some other references and see how else I can improve the texture of the gun before I move on to a new project. :)
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I recommend looking at weapons from games like borderlands.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The edges that are most obvious towards the FPS camera could stand to use beveiling/
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Zi0 said:
    I recommend looking at weapons from games like borderlands.
    Thanks for the input. I just watched some gameplay footage videos and looked at some screenshots of some of the guns from that game. I think some of the weapon designs from the game are quite nice and have good animations to help show how they work. What would you say you like most about their weapon designs or art?
    The edges that are most obvious towards the FPS camera could stand to use beveiling/
    Well noted, I'll see if I can make some adjustments. I'm trying to keep it relatively low-poly (currently has about 5K vertices and 3.5K triangles).

Here's a small update of the texture with a few colour variations:

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Weapons in borderland have a bit more color variation in their materials and they are designed in such a way that they look interesting in FPS view. That's why I recommend studying them a bit for your next project :smile:
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Published this project to my Artstation now. Thanks for the comments guys, I will take what I've learned from this project and apply it to my next new ones. :)

More Images on the Artstation page:

Sketchfab: