Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Town house

hublus
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
hublus polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone. This is asset I was working on last few days. I wanted to make it in stylized/handpainted style, but in the end I think it's some kind of hybrid between realistic and stylized approach. Modelled in Blender, textured in Substance Painter and rendered in Marmoset. Also brick and tiles are simple materials made in Substance Designer. Feedback and criticism are appreciated.
More renders on Artstation

Building in the middle was my main reference source.

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    I feel like a lot of your textures could be tiled a bit more because right now the size of the textures makes the house look tiny, like a doll house.
    Textures are also kind of uniform, there is no breakup anywhere. It looks like you didn´t do any normal map baking which makes sense if your original plan was to make a stylized hand painted asset but I´m not sure if it really works with more realistic textures like this. 
    The texture seams on the chimney are pretty noticeable so be careful with that kind of stuff.
    hope that helps :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Its ok as models go but personally I think this model could have benefited from more reference and planning. You're probably done with this project now but here's some advice, feel free to take it or leave it. Try to imagine each part of the building on its own as a portfolio piece(wall, window, door etc) and how much effort you would put in if that was the case, this is something that helps me focus on good reference and quality. The way the grain of the wood is uniform for example isn't how houses are built, perhaps find some good old tudor house reference for how the beams intersect. The windows seem uniformly yellow, are they being lit from the inside? are they reflective? The lamps on the outside seem to be casting no light yet they are orange, perhaps do a night time render with these lit with point lights. Lastly what is your pixel density like? What distance is this meant to be seen at eg is it for something like cities skylines or is it for something like pubg, if you can figure out what type of game this might be for you can try to think about how these games approach making thier environment art and see if you can nail the level of quality. try to get a good even pixel density and use tiling textures on a big environment piece, I cant tell if its good here, those default substance painter bricks also just look too procedural to me, the walls in the reference look more interesting in thier material composition.  Good work getting it done anyway and all the best with future projects.
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    I feel like a lot of your textures could be tiled a bit more because right now the size of the textures makes the house look tiny, like a doll house.
    Textures are also kind of uniform, there is no breakup anywhere. It looks like you didn´t do any normal map baking which makes sense if your original plan was to make a stylized hand painted asset but I´m not sure if it really works with more realistic textures like this. 
    The texture seams on the chimney are pretty noticeable so be careful with that kind of stuff.
    hope that helps :)
    Ged said:
    Its ok as models go but personally I think this model could have benefited from more reference and planning. You're probably done with this project now but here's some advice, feel free to take it or leave it. Try to imagine each part of the building on its own as a portfolio piece(wall, window, door etc) and how much effort you would put in if that was the case, this is something that helps me focus on good reference and quality. The way the grain of the wood is uniform for example isn't how houses are built, perhaps find some good old tudor house reference for how the beams intersect. The windows seem uniformly yellow, are they being lit from the inside? are they reflective? The lamps on the outside seem to be casting no light yet they are orange, perhaps do a night time render with these lit with point lights. Lastly what is your pixel density like? What distance is this meant to be seen at eg is it for something like cities skylines or is it for something like pubg, if you can figure out what type of game this might be for you can try to think about how these games approach making thier environment art and see if you can nail the level of quality. try to get a good even pixel density and use tiling textures on a big environment piece, I cant tell if its good here, those default substance painter bricks also just look too procedural to me, the walls in the reference look more interesting in thier material composition.  Good work getting it done anyway and all the best with future projects.

Thanks a lot for great feedback. I think main issue with this asset is I didn't really know what I wanted to accomplish with it + I could have spent more time gathering and studying reference photos.