Home Technical Talk

Recommendation for Maya 2018 Texel Density Tool

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
neverwander polycounter lvl 7
I recently upgraded to the last version of Maya and am getting increasingly frustrated with the built in Texel Density tool. I'm constantly getting the 'Division by zero' error and nothing I do seems to fix it. Is there another tool out there that works as well as the old UVAutoRatio tool did?

FYI I work with Revit models for ArchViz and remodeling every piece of geometry is not feasible. 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FWIW I had the same problems with Nightshade in 2016.5, probably facing the same thing you are now. I couldn't find an alternative in 2018 for texel density.

The issue stems from having very small UV shells, you probably have a series of very thin triangle shells, where there's a distance of 0.00001 between two points. What I did as a workaround was to first do a Layout, and visually identify the tiny and thin stuff- they get grouped together toward the top typically. Then pull those to the side and try doing TD again (but NOT including the tiny stuff), repeating the steps if I still get an error. From there I'd decide if I needed to bother scaling the tiny uv faces- in my case they were subpixel, so getting their scale just right wasn't important.

I also couldn't find a good way to reliably automate selecting the small shells that would still exclude small shells that were valid for TD adjustment. So maybe you have ideas there?
  • Deathslagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathslagger polycounter lvl 3
    Take a look at this tutorial maybe it helps solve the inital problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=5e6zvJqVqlA

• Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Does anyone have texel density script, which would adjust texel for all selection, but individual shells individually? 
    Default Maya Get and Set Texel tool creates gaps between shells.