Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Illustration work

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks nice, love the pose and expression, did you use photo reference?
    and thanks for the nice compliments :) 
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, Iotet. The whole idea for the illustration came from a picture I took of my girlfriend, so I'm just kind of turning her into a witch right here.

I'll be blocking out the scene in 3D to figure out the lighting. Not even going to try and guess that with an interior.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    After a bit too long, I'm calling this one done and jumping back on illustrations.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Planning out some lighting in 3D, because interiors are hard

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    The very beginning of the block in.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    A bit more on it. Colors are gonna be real hard here

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    And here's what's actually happening in there

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    razz said:
    And here's what's actually happening in there

:(
  • jmoore9001
    Offline / Send Message
    jmoore9001 polycounter lvl 3
    Just binged your thread and I've got to say how much I love your work, you certainly have a way with forest environments! Super cool to see the work in progresses come together too.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Razz, I haven't seen your work in ages, you've improved a ton! Your colors, especially with your forest shots are fantastic!
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Iotet, no no, it's good! I think I might need to start writing little stories next to illustrations so they don't get misinterpreted. But then again, perhaps that's not too bad, letting the viewers make their own story.

Jmoore, glad you liked it and thanks for taking a look ;] I do enjoy forests and flora in general. Especially these days when I'm living in a big city and don;t get much of that!

Avanthera, thanks a bunch! Apparently, if you work on stuff, you get better at it, who knew. Seriously though, I'm really having a lot of fun with these. Having a little backstory going on while making these helps a lot as well. Don't think I've ever felt better doing personal work ;]

I've been working on the redesign of the girl. Want to improve on the look and change the style a bit. Would love to know what you guys think of the direction I'm going

Old design

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    May just be calling this one done.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    I was working on the redesign of the character for a while now and been doing some studies to learn a few things instead of starting another big illustration.

So with the design, I'm already doing a redesign of the redesign. Yeah..

And some random photo studies

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    There, got something for the new design

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Glad to see your still working on this thing :)
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, Iotet! I just seem to not get bored from painting nature. Add a touch of fantasy and it can hardly get better ;]

Here' something I'm working on at the moment. 

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    So, the latest one didn't really work out, but here are the results anyway.

Other than that I've been doing a bunch of studies, a bit unrelated to this whole thing. 

I've also started what I wanted to do for a while now, which is make some plants in 3D to help me out with illustrations. Want to keep it painterly so it's all hand painted textures. Hopefully that'll bring some life to my illustrations, not to mention speed up the process.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    One I'm working on now. Needs a good last polish pass. Any suggestions most welcomed ;]

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Done with this

Something new I've started. Characters are placeholder, need to draw them properly. Otherwise just a lot of painting to do.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Done. Had a goal to not take ages with this one. Getting better with that.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    A new one. Sorry no wips, this was a bit of a mess to begin with.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Long time no see!
    I thought I'll post something I've been working on. Still very early stages, so bear with me.
    Moving into 3D realm, I'm trying to create a simple composition with a few elements and lots of foliage, just how I like it.

Take a look, feedback would be very appreciated. Everything is very much work in progress.

Next I probably want to do an overpaint to figure out everything else I need to do and work out the lighting.

I've made a bunch of plants and grass for this image, here's an example of what gets scattered across the ground

• bed
    Offline / Send Message
    bed polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Razz, nice work here! I really like those Ghibli-esque illustrations you've made, and your latest 3d stuff looks good.

Some of your elements feel a little too rigid/static in my opinion, for example the foreground grass in the swamp image has those sharp bends that do not feel natural. Think about how they would softly bend and droop over from their own weight, how everything would be effected by wind and movement of characters/animals.

Here's some footage I took yesterday during a walk that might better illustrate what I mean.

Hopefully this could be a tiny bit useful to you, and I hope to see more from you. Thanks for sharing!

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you, Bed! There's definitely things to improve. I don't mind the unnatural part though, as I'm not chasing realism, but I agree even as somewhat stylized it doesn't have nice appealing shapes.

Oh well that's been a long while. Been stuck more in 3D than 2D, lots of things started, not many finished.
    I'll have more illustration stuff soon, but now I've been reworking the character design.

And an environment sketch but I'll be tackling this one in 3D.

Any feedback welcomed!
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    And done. A bit of a breather from all the 3D I was doing.