Home Technical Talk

Creating Points while modeling

ballew_m32
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ballew_m32 polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

If this doesn't belong here please let me know. 

I am making a devil type character in Maya for Unity. He has many pointed features (fingers, tail, spikes, etc) and I don't know if it is best to merge the verticies to center at each point or to just delete the faces and scale the verticies down as much as possible. 

The points are in places that won't be typically deformed, so I don't think the tris would be a problem, but the latter method of just scaling looks better overall. 

Any technical reasons I should pick one method over the other? He is pretty low poly, and I don't think he will be too large on screen.

I have tried researching the best way to do this but I can't find any info.

Thanks!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Usually I make a round cap, even if it's very small. To do that, if you have a single vertex, do a chamfer then you can use multicut or poke face to adjust how round or pointy the cap will be. Seems to make everything easier and better quality -- baking wise and when the camera is close it looks more realistic. I don't think there is anything in nature that can be o perfectly pointy.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

I don't think the tris would be a problem, but the latter method of just scaling looks better overall. 

Well, there's your answer there. You're creating something for a game engine which converts/renders everything as triangles, so, far from being a problem, tris are an inevitability. You've discovered yourself that the silhouette of one method looks better than the other. Problem solved.