Home Technical Talk

Arnold is rendering soft edges hard

I'm at my wits end, I've tried about everything I can think of. When I render out my asset, the soft edges appear hard. If anyone has an idea what may be causing this, please help me.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Where did you bake this? Max/Maya are using their own tangent basis so this could be your issue. 
  • BatouYukinawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I baked it in Substance Painter then exported the textures in Metal Roughness in EXR format.It's not the texture maps, Arnold is not rendering edges soft when I make them soft. You can see the edge is clearly hard but I have smoothed the edge multiple times. It's like Arnold is not seeing the edges are soft for some reason.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't say it was the maps I said it was the tangent basis. Does it render like that with just a default aistandard?

The normals could be locked. What does it look like in the viewport?

• BatouYukinawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The viewport shows edges as hard when I have them soft too. If I make a edge hard it doesn't change the edge at all. And yes it shows hard edges without any maps applied even when I turn the whole thing to soft edges.Applying the maps just makes it more visible and obvious.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Sounds like the normals are locked.  Try unlocking them,  it will knacker your normal maps though
  • BatouYukinawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't seem to be the case. The edges still render out hard. It's something to do with the Arnold render it seems. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's something to do with the Arnold render it seems. 
    Didn't you say above that it's an issue in the viewport as well? Where did the mesh come from? Did you create it in Maya? Did you export/import it? What were your export/import settings?
  • BatouYukinawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies, I was mistaken. Viewport is fine. I modeled in Maya. I exported in exr format with a Metal Roughness workflow. The maps really aren't the issue tho. The Arnold Render is just rendering soft edges hard for some reason. Even without the maps applied and a fresh Standard surface shader I get the exact same results. 
    You can see the edges are hard here in this render. However, this is right after I smoothed them. I tried unlocking normals, they are fine, actually unlocking the normals as well and re softened these exact edges, yet they still come out hard. Also those edges are not 90 degrees or more so softening them shouldn't cause any issues.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    are you sure you dont just have 2 models inside each other?
  • BatouYukinawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, that would be impossible considering I imported just the low mesh into my pre built lighting scene. Arnold just doesn't seem to want to render out the edges as they have been assigned.