Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Rose C

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RoseC polycounter lvl 3
Hello, I'm a game artist who is coming off a massive burnout/rethinking thingsand trying to work the rust off and resume increasing my skills, knowledge, and techniques. I used to only do environment work in Maya, Substance, and Unreal.

Now I do a wider array of things..  mostly using Blender and Unity.

This thread is mostly for fun scraps, but these first several images are from my portfolio.

Replies

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

I learned to make a towel in blender just for fun. I have mostly just been spending time having fun with blender tuts instead of doing anything serious.
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

I've been practicing and trying to get better at low poly and hand painting and I made this character. If anyone has any tips, I would like to figure out the best way to handle swappable outfits. Should I just make a separate character mesh entirely, or is there an elegant way to make clothing attachments work, especially in regards to rigging and animation. Tho this section is probably not the best place to ask huh, this is a sketchbook place. Anyways, Gonna have fun painting this and designing hair / outfits / etc.

The model is 1850 triangles
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    learning sculpting in blender and decided to do something small and fun. you did not see any typos.

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

I just started switching over to hand painting recently and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I kind of don't want to go back to my old way of texturing things. Trying to develop style

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    weeeellll. i havent been on polycount for a bit. i realized i should be mostly using this for serious business art, because i have mostly been doing fun motion graphics things with it. so here are some low key things i did. Full disclosure, a couple are based on tuts because I went from maya to blender and wanna learn as much of its features as possible.

Gonna make an actual nice environment soonish, but for now i'm still having fun and prefer low key work.
    I would post the motion graphics things but i can't do that because of the less than 1 mb rule here and it would require absolutely destroying the quality by turning everything into gif form.

• Eric Chadwick
    Neat tests!

Those size rules only applies to the What Are You Working On threads, since they're shared by a massive number of people.

You can do whatever you want in your own threads! 
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    Neat tests!

Those size rules only applies to the What Are You Working On threads, since they're shared by a massive number of people.

You can do whatever you want in your own threads! 
    Oh, I didn't know that, thanks!

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    did this for practice. im kinda bad at hard surface so this, while i think it was a failure, is a step into the right direction.
    if any random person reading has experience with box cutter and/or hardops, is it worth it for a blender to unity workflow?

btw this is the infamous Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    I have made a vimeo specifically to host my motion graphics stuff. incoming for lots of videos, posting my favorite ones.

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

did this sculpt project and now i want to retopo and paint it but remembering how much i suck at retopo and baking cause i hardly ever sculpt :) no time like the present to get better. if any random strangers has a general tip on making this easier.. i use blendr. its mega late and i was making progress with a shrinkwrap modifier + subsurf thing but it gave me errors on the split in that first plank.. actually.. if i cant make it work tomorrow ill post in that one mega thread, ignore my ranting.

also ive done a bunch of shit since my last dump ill do one later.
  • jaciedraws
    Offline / Send Message
    jaciedraws triangle
    I think, for something that's supposed to be as low poly as this is, that split in the first plank might be able to be handled by a normal map and you might not need to worry about retopologizing it perfectly? 
    As for using blender for UVs, I use UV squares add-on to help my UVs look sleek and nice :D 
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    thanks for the tips!
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

heres some quick stuff i did to pass the time. havent done any like... projects. in the process of moving so there hasnt been time for me to focus on much. oh also there's my texture job on the retopo'd table. its a bit over 10k polys. i spent too much time getting frustrated on the retopo job that i kind of phoned in the texture. next time i'll be more patient with myself. and also better plan for a more interesting texture.

im an amateur at sculpting but messing around it's been fun.
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PmDQWn

decided to rearrange some old props and do render tests in blender because I've never done it for serious rendering and stuff

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    i didnt feel like texturing much but wanted to feel productive so i did this
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

sculpture texture thing i did for practice

this was a terrain WIP that i did for a little project for a secret santa thing

this is a low poly hand painted sword i did just because i like to on and off mess with low poly and hand painting styles.

this is messing with a procedural stylized rock thing i picked up from one of the artists of Alchemica

these are all kinda old and i havent been as focused on 3D art lately. mostly doing web design and irl sculpture. gonna spend this next month doing 3D stuff

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    i spent half my time tonight sculpting wood real quick and then trying to find a bake setting that i like and it went badly because i keep trying to find ways to skip a thorough retopology and instead just use the decimate modifier but now im thinking i should just ditch ever trying to bake with the decimate modifier because its bad and should just suck it up and go back to the more normal method of making the high poly magnetic and then doing blenders equivalent to the quad draw tool until i get the shape i want. either way, im looking for a sweet spot between stylized and realistic and dont wanna go overly detailed.

EDIT: turns out that actually yes just snap + shrinkwrap is the best. even though it can take a long time and is still finicky. i am still not exactly where i want it to be, and the seams are still a problem but after running into a weird bug where cycles just straight up stopped working and only was fixed with a fresh install and re-opening the project file did it go away. anyways i brought down from 363,000 to 560

if it keeps bothering me im gonna bevel the ends but i guess it depends on how it will look adding diffuse, ambient occlusion, roughness, etc. I feel like this was a good exercise to get over how lazy i can be with retopo. maybe next i should pick something thats very difficult to UV map cause thats also a weakness. nonetheless, i have my workflow for sculpting the way i want it to be and from here on out i have like, i guess the regimen cut out.
  • RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    I learned about the cell fracture tool and decided to play around and make a fun abstract render with it. It of course is full of jaggies, but i feel like it works well, and the result is interesting, basically took an icosphere, fractured it, modified the shit out of it, put lights in it, and then added a fog volume

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

I haven't posted much but I've been working on characters.. I just finished the last one with the dreadlocks, and the first one was my first proper character project. I was always more of an environment person and not a character person so it was extremely challenging at first, and the first project wasn't quite to my liking with the final look, but the person I made it for loved it. But that same person was more impressed with this last one I just finished. I'm feeling pretty good about it. More shots on Artstation.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJz2GY

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3

2020 kept me depressed and mostly inactive but im slowly coming back, heres a few things i really liked doing.. gonna keep doing hand painty and pixel stuff

• RoseC
    Offline / Send Message
    RoseC polycounter lvl 3
    i really feel like im getting the hang of hand painting now