Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Announcement: Game Environment Art Challenge

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Indie polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone!

I have started an organization that creates events  and spaces where developers, designers and creators can come together to share their passions and connect with each other. 

Through this organizing I am hosting a game environment art challenge and wanted to share it with the community here. 
We have some fabulous judges and a unique prize that allows you to have 1 on 1 time with the judge of your choice for a portfolio review as well as to ask them a few questions related to the industry or their artistic process. 

There is a concept art stage which will lead into a 3D stage that will be based off of the winning concept pieces. 

The concept stage will begin March 25th and the 3D stage begins on April 22nd. 
All of the info is on our website 
https://indiemixer.net/art-challenge/

It would be amazing to see some of the talented artists in this community take part.

Thanks so much everyone! 

Replies

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Who is we? Also the link is broken just an FYI.
  • Indie
    Offline / Send Message
    Indie polycounter lvl 2
    @Zachagreg Hey sorry, just updated the post to have more info and hopefully answer your question. 
    Also, thank you for letting me know the link was broken, I was unaware. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @Indie Hey thanks for organizing a challenge, always cool to see people being brought together to create art! I'm a bit concerned that the 3 week time limit might be a little too short for an entire 3D environment. The environment challenges and competitions on Polycount and ArtStation tend to give 1.5 to 2 months. Of course that is all depending on the complexity of the scene, but this time limit might scare some potential competitors away.
  • Indie
    Offline / Send Message
    Indie polycounter lvl 2
    @Ashervisalis
    thank you for mentioning that, it’s good to get feedback. I was considering 4 weeks for the challenge and may be able to push it to 4. I am thinking that given the amount of time for the concept art, the concepts might be a bit smaller therefore making the 3D less demanding. However, I am also not expecting huge scenes either way since it is a shorter amount of time. 
    In the future if I do this again I will aim to make the times longer.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I don't really get it :X

This makes it look like you're trying to create a professionnal dev community.
    Indie said:
    I have started an organization that creates events  and spaces where developers, designers and creators can come together to share their passions and connect with each other. 

But the reward is mentorship with dev, which sound like a contest for students.
  • Indie
    Offline / Send Message
    Indie polycounter lvl 2
    @Odow We cater to the community in general. Yes, the Indie Mixer is more geared towards freelancers and more established game devs and this Art challenge is more geared towards students and recent grads but anyone can join, even if you've been out of school for a while you can always learn from others. 
  • Indie
    Offline / Send Message
    Indie polycounter lvl 2
    Wanted to update that the 3d portion of this challenge has been extended to 6 weeks!