Home Technical Talk

[KRITA/PHOTOSHOP] make brush change rotation with direction of movement

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
So, I made a brush in Photoshop/krita. How do I solve this:

The top and bottom are flat. I would like the brush to rotate as I paint so it like a ring of strokes.
Like this;

Replies

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    In photoshop, in the brush's settings, it's under Shape Dynamics>Angle Jitter> Control:

And set that to direction.

Not sure about Krita.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joopson It didn't work. Here is me trying it out with the brush on direction with the second stroke:

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You need to adjust the initial rotation of the brush alpha as well, in the brush’s general settings. There’s a preview there, of the stroke, that should make adjusting the setting easy.

Basically, the brush is now rotating with the stroke, it’s just not facing the direction you want.

Are you poking around in the settings, and googling, when you run into problems? Looking around a bit in the settings can often show you solutions. That way you don’t always have to wait on an answer, unless you’re truly stumped. :)
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    In Krita you need to go to and activate the Rotation property of your brush, and make a curve on the Drawing Angle sensor.

Really, "Drawing Angle" is the sensor you're looking for. There's one sensor called "Rotation" but it means actual pen rotation (like rolling it around in your fingers), not the stroke direction like you want.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joopson Thanks. It worked in PS. 

I google it  and found out about the direction in PS but it wasn't working. I should have mentioned it in the first post but since it didn't work. I figured maybe, the direction setting for angle jitter was wrong.

@RN Thanks. Worked in Krita

Thanks guys :- )
    @Joopson Photoshop doesn't still have a wrap around mode like this Krita.
    Wished it did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ICGks0-InQ
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    On CS6 at least you can do a crappy tile mode by creating a layer, making it a smart object, duplicating it 8 times and arranging them in a grid, then editing one smart object (a new document window opens up), and then whenever you save the document in this new window, all other copies of the smart object in the original window will update.

But it definitely doesn't wrap the brush strokes around like Krita wrap mode, that's some sorcery.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @RN yep Krita got that down accurately and that was a very awesome feature. Why Photoshop doesn't have this with how well it is used in the industry for years now baffles me.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    It's IMO better to do in a vector based soft.  Microsoft free "Expression Design 4"  for example could put up to 10  alternating pieces of bitmap images along a stroke + separate start/end images,  RGB or B&W,  tiling like a snake, stretching to stroke extent  or scattering around randomly. And all this perfectly following a vector curve of the stroke you could edit any time later and rasterize to whatever resolution you want.  You could make a clone stroke repeating the original vector editing and put it into wrapping space  to make repeating texture.
       Way beyond what Substance Painter is capable of  stroke wise and still having a way to switch the same stroke to normal , roughness, depth whatever any time ( by switching saved strokes manually).

Too bad the whole soft is a castrated version of old glorious Creative House Expression which had been  even better and was a hybrid of vector and raster image editors.
    And too bad Microsoft seems have abandoned its new one too

I wish such capabilities would be in Subsance  Designer at least
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @gnoop Wait!....Microsoft free "Expression Design 4"  has wrap around mode?? 
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    No, it doesn’t   But it has “clone” feature where you could clone vector object and shift it to say 2048 pix for 2048 sized texture.  If you edite the original, the clone would copy editing automatically. 

Not so easy like wrap mode but still you could make perfectly continuous vector splines through repeating texture that way
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Will check it out. Have u used it for texturing before?
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am still using it for environment art/ tillable textures as a complement to Substance Designer. You could do same it in any vector soft supporting bitmap images distributing  along a vector curve and shape clones/instances.     Design is pretty awkward and odd soft actually but has a few nice features hidden deep inside
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool to know. Thanks for the info. Will give it a spin :- )
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
     Microsoft free "Expression Design 4"  for example could put up to 10  alternating pieces of bitmap images along a stroke + separate start/end images,  RGB or B&W,  tiling like a snake, stretching to stroke extent  or scattering around randomly. 
    @gnoop How do u scatter around randomly. or make a brush have separate start/end images?
    Sorry. I am checking it out now, Learnt a lot of things but I can't find a video tutorial about those. How did u learn ho to use it. The tutorials aren't that much and I wouldn't have known these unless u mentioned it.
    It suits what I have been looking for perfectly. I have always said at this age, texturing software should be moving towards vector or resolutionless format and then u export at what res u need, Substance devs seem to have taken the right step in this.