Home Technical Talk

Keyshot Newb

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Moltar polycounter lvl 7
Hello, I'm hoping someone here can help me out.  I've been trying to teach myself how to use Keyshot in my down time, it's going well and I'm learning a lot (I think).  I'm at the stage now were I want to put everything I've learn't into action and create something really nice - but im stuck.  I've been trying to create something similar to what you see below but it's not working out quite as I hoped.  Basically I just wanted to ask a few questions about the renders.

- Im not sure if the bulk of the materials used are simple painted metals with adjusted roughness or some sort of complicated materials? (Except the grips obviously)
- Does this look like a mixture of HDR fill light with unique lights setup within the scene?
- The render at the bottom of the page looks almost stylised, it's that from keyshot or some PS magic
- Any hints, tips or guides in creating something like this?

Renders are by John Siomin - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Pm2y18

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I bought Keyshot pro for Zbrush few years ago, played a bit and never used since. Then did another approach when v8 had been out .  Shrugged and again never tried again.  It couldn't render proper normal and depth passes with alpha materials so still useless for me.
      So I kind of puzzled why so many people find it appealing.    An Octane GPU render would do just the same in real time with actually even more easy and simple setup approach.  And beyond GPU memory limitation it could do more.  Redshift too.    As of CPU based one  for the price of Keyshot you could buy Clarisse 3d with a renderer way ahead of Keyshot imo    
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    There's not much to learn in KS, really. In 2 or 3 uses you should have it mastered. The first render(which looks absolutely shit to me) looks like it's just using a sky blue to light grey gradient image based lighting setup(judging by the reflections) and the second image is just a studio light setup - no colour from the environment.

All the shaders are very basic looking and you should be able to achieve the look using stock materials with maybe a slider tweak here and there. Nothing special at all going on here.
  • kittinzaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kittinzaa polycounter lvl 5
    this style of render I would call industrial design style since it use most for the product design or presentation
    there is nothings special about it just very clean mesh with bumb/normal applied on with simple material and lighting
    I think you're like the clean look of the model/render rather than any keyshot mysterious I would recommened to try NURBS modeler
    key points to archieve this style is to be very simple most of the contrast will be on the mesh detail itself.