Home Featured Artwork

Roman bath house [UE4]

EvArt
polygon
Offline / Send Message
EvArt polygon
Hi, this is a project I started a few days after Christmas
I wanted to get the biggest parts of the scene done first so have been focusing on the UE4 materials and the most used textures :smile:

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks cool so far. I think the brick texture on the arches could be vastly improved. Also, I'm not sure if the ancient Romans used these types of brick (although I could be wrong).
  • EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon
    Update 2: 
    -I have made some grass which has made a big difference already, i also would like to make some moss foliage and ferns to scatter around on the ground. I have not made a tree im happy with in speed tree yet but i have 2 versions planned that will fill up most the blank space in the background.
    -I added moss in the cracks of the stone, since all the materials are instanced I could add moss to anything in the scene, but I dont want this scene to be too overgrown so have not used it on anything except the 'orange brick'

Next things to do on my list are the 'decorative wall' sections seen in the middle of image 2

This is the photoshop edit of the main things I want to add/change, notably the increase of saturation and levels editing is something id like to play with once i get to post processing :smile:

Looks cool so far. I think the brick texture on the arches could be vastly improved. Also, I'm not sure if the ancient Romans used these types of brick (although I could be wrong).
    Hi, I have made some changes to the brick texture. Romans did actually use red bricks in some of their buildings!

• JonJo
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    Awesome looking project, can't wait to see where you go with this. At the moment, I know you're focusing a lot on textures, but I think you could push your blockout a bit further. You're kinda lacking interesting props and focal points (atleast from what I can see in your screenshots of course!). It might be worth setting up some cameras for where you want your screenshots at the end of the project so you can focus on what you might want in those specific areas. 

The only other thing that's sticking out is that the textures are looking very new for what seems to be an older ruin. All of the large bricks seem very uniform and undamaged and the trim sheets are lacking and sort of edge wear or dirt. That aside the work you've already done on them is really good, especially the trim sheets. How did you go about making the human figures? 

Good luck with the project, off to a great start. 
  • EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon
    JonJo said:
    Awesome looking project, can't wait to see where you go with this. At the moment, I know you're focusing a lot on textures, but I think you could push your blockout a bit further. You're kinda lacking interesting props and focal points (atleast from what I can see in your screenshots of course!). It might be worth setting up some cameras for where you want your screenshots at the end of the project so you can focus on what you might want in those specific areas. 

The only other thing that's sticking out is that the textures are looking very new for what seems to be an older ruin. All of the large bricks seem very uniform and undamaged and the trim sheets are lacking and sort of edge wear or dirt. That aside the work you've already done on them is really good, especially the trim sheets. How did you go about making the human figures? 

Good luck with the project, off to a great start. 
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I definitely agree that there is a lack of focal point at the moment, I have been wondering what to make so that the eye is lead somewhere, at the moment im working around the distant building being the focal point but I would prefer to have something in the foreground.

I also agree that everything looks a bit too new! I will be working on doing more destroyed variations of the models I have at the moment, I have just been researching how I should go about it. I think I have recently found out how ill do it though by looking at assassins creed origins models on artstation. Also decals  :p

I will work on the trim sheets some more, this is my first time using a trim sheet so a second pass is definitely needed.

The human figures are all scan data from this website https://www.myminifactory.com/ I wish I could say I made them myself but it would have just been way too time consuming!

Update 2.1:
    Here are some of my references, I have a pinterest board with lots more but these are ones I picked out

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Right now the plaster feels like off, it doesn't look like the plaster has any depth to it, if you look at some pictures of plaster you can see these details:

• EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon
    Doxturtle said:
    Right now the plaster feels like off, it doesn't look like the plaster has any depth to it, if you look at some pictures of plaster you can see these details:

Hi, Yea i need to change the tessellation limit in UE4 first before I can do that, dont worry its already set up in the material though ready to go :)
  • EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon
    [edit] duplicate post
  • EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon

got some good feedback from DiNusty's discord server so have been making some changes based on feedback from there, alot of stuff is still only blocked out but going to do some more on this this week.
  • EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon

Calling this finished for now, I would like to come back and fill out the background a bit at some point
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/N5Z9XD
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks good man! Good job.
  • EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon
    Looks good man! Good job.
    Thank you!
  • Nattyoop92
    Hey @EvArt, the scene is really coming together, the background elements really help to tie it in, the lighting is also great!

I was wondering how you got the ivy in the scene, was this a shader? or did you foliage paint the leaves onto the wall?
  • EvArt
    Offline / Send Message
    EvArt polygon
    Hey @EvArt, the scene is really coming together, the background elements really help to tie it in, the lighting is also great!

I was wondering how you got the ivy in the scene, was this a shader? or did you foliage paint the leaves onto the wall?
    The Ivy and leaves are just models and I hand placed them where I wanted them, it didnt take too long because I made a couple variations of clusters but you could also foliage paint them 
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Really nice work. I think your water could use some more work. Adding some soft waves, refractions, and depth fade to it would really help sell that a bit better.
  • Nattyoop92
    EvArt said:

The Ivy and leaves are just models and I hand placed them where I wanted them, it didnt take too long because I made a couple variations of clusters but you could also foliage paint them 
    Hey thanks for the info, useful to know, and  like I said before, great project!
  • Dreyzie
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work. The lighting and materials are gorgeous. Also the framing of the background building through the arch is a nice touch.

Like Jack M said, I think the water could use a bit more touching up. It looks a bit too much like a flat plane, especially where the water meets the walls. If you add some foam or subtle waves around the waterline I think it would create a better illusion.  :)
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Great work on the textures and modeling.

I can't help thinking that it needs a statue in the pond or some kind of story focus for the scene. 
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Clarencezer polycounter lvl 2
    Damn the materials and everything in place looks incredible!
  • Karu
    Offline / Send Message
    Karu polycounter lvl 6
    Been following since day 1, Come along way since! Great stuff!
  • Lether
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, really great work. Il especially like your blocks walls. How did you model it ? How did you manage the texturing? Did you sculpt it ? Can you make a little breakdown of your workflow on it ? Would be great :)
  • sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    sargisstg polycounter lvl 6
    @EvArt It's looking good nice job! Do you use static lightmap for the Ivys and for other foliages? I wonder what is the best way to light up vegetations.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work.  Good job of layering the vegetation over the hard surfaces.  It really sells the age of it.