Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter map bakes look different in external render

jesselarson
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
jesselarson polycounter lvl 2
I'm still pretty new to substance. I get everything painted and looking the way I want in painter, but when I bake them out and import them into an external program (I tried marmoset toolbag 3 and redshift for c4d) I end up needing to heavily tweak the textures in those programs to get them looking right again.

So one example in particular, I painted a tire, exported the base color, metalness, roughness, and normal maps, brought them into redshift and at the default settings the roughness is very reflective (like it has a coat of varnish on it). If I invert the roughness and add a little bit of contrast it starts to look right. I also changed the default BRDF setting of Beckmann to GGX (though I didn't notice a huge change with that). I had also read that I needed to change the fresnel to metalness, but when I did it really darkened everything. Changing the reflectivity color from 100% black to a 25% grey fixed that.

Maybe I'm just a noob in all this, but I was under the impression that if it looks right in painter, as long as you bake out the correct maps for what you'll be rendering it in (and especially if you use the same HDRI as in painter) the external rendering will look pretty similar. 

Replies