Home Career & Education

Will I be able to continue developing my 3d skillset and having a job non-related to this field?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Hello,
This is bugging me for a quite some time. I am about to start working for local company as a tiler but my background is artistic. 
But, since art is not paying bills  and i'm still working on my 3d skillsets (+ time is the enemy), I wanted to ask is there more people  that are working some other jobs non related to this field but still doing 3d art (or learning)  after full time work ?

My goal is to continue working and developing my 3d skillsets but i'm aksing myself would it be possible after 8 or 9 hours of labour ? That's why i'm asking is  there any people that are in the same or similar situations?

Replies

• Skionos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skionos polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, this is hard but possible. I'm working as a graphic designer/content creator full time, and I'm working on my 3D skillset before and after work. Also on weekends. 2 years ago I graduated from university, (I studied the culture of Japan) and since then I'm living this way.

I believe that, if I put enough hard work into my 3D skillsets then someday I will manage to land my first job in this industry. So I think that It's also possible for you, just work hard and be patient :smile:
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I guess this is probably really one of those "it depends on the person" type questions.

For me personally, I found that I loved 3D modeling and wanted to pursue it as a future career possibility but, at the time, worked in a fast-paced veterinary career that left me drained and exhausted every time I got off and came home and I just never had the drive or energy to commit to my 3D stuff. I'm also in my 30's and don't have the energy I once did. I knew that if I wanted to get serious about my future as a 3D artist, I had to make some major changes in my life and take some major risks, which lead to me retiring from that field to focus on becoming a full-time self-taught artist. I couldn't have gotten where I am today skill-wise if I hadn't take this route.

That said, there are plenty of people who manage to work full-time jobs and still have the time/energy to come home and commit themselves towards this long process of learning 3D art. I both envy and hate those people, with a side of teenage drama queen-esque jealousy. In the end, you know yourself better than anyone else. Most people gotta make a living somehow while they work towards other goals. I'd say try the new job, but make sure you stay committed to the things you really want on the side, and just see how it goes for a while.

Also, you can't see it, but I'm sprinkling a hearty dose of some good old fashioned "good luck" powder on you.
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4
    Last year i stumbled across some interview with the artist who works at weta digital. He said he used to work as a crain rigger on the construction field, he got hired as a 3d character artist,just switched from that position to this one. I think he was mentioning something about loosing his brother  who passed away, something like that. That was very interesting thing to read for me.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    <-- currently working two jobs with a wife and 3 year old.

it sucks but you can do it. if it matters to you enough you'll just find the time when and where you can. usually by cutting out less important things. like playing games, going out and maybe a little sleep.
  • sharsein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sharsein polycounter lvl 9
    You're down time, but you're up cash. That gives you some advantages:
    1) You can pay people to teach you. A good mentor is worth at least 2 years of self taught practice. Cgtarian, CGMA, Cgsociety all offer great workshops
    2) You can buy tools and plugins that speed up your workflow, cut out the tedious technical stuff. 
    3) You can focus your off hours purely on growth instead of bad clients and nonstop portfolio work. Make smaller exercises to focus on a fundamental or technique you want to master. It's ok to only have a new portfolio piece once a year
  • BrandonBerryCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrandonBerryCG polycounter lvl 6

It's possible,  I think! I hope!

I'm currently working fulltime at a warehouse job (hoping to jump to an IT position soon for more financial breathing room), when I'm not at work, I'm probably working on 3D Animation. My shifts are ten hours a day, four days a week. I've had to make a lot of sacrifices such as not hanging out with friends, staying away from relationships, cut going to the gym, and not playing as much games. I get a little 3d animation done on work days, but those three days that I'm off I have to hit the grindstone pretty hard. But I see progress in my work and Im guessing as long as I keep having "ah-ha!" moments I will be able to break into the industry eventually. I'm not going to lie though, you learn at a much slower pace and you risk getting burnt out if you don't take time for yourself. Make a schedule and stick to it, set goals, push yourself with every project, and value your free time (there wont be much of it)

But I think it comes down to what you can handle personally. I push myself hard because I want to make video games for a living and I do not want to hate my job for the rest of my life like everyone else in my family. There are easier careers to break into that pay more money so this just has to be something you want to do.

I don't know if I'm really qualified to give advice since I actually haven't got a job yet, but here are some tips I think may help:
    Surround yourself with media related to the field you want to enter. I lurk polycount on my breaks and lunch, I watch videos/tutorials dealing with things I'm currently working on, my facebook feed is pretty much all animation and CG art, browse job postings in your free time. It keeps me motivated and my mind on task.

Tiling is probably going to murder your back so I imagine it will be hard to find the motivation to work after a full day of work. BUT, you can always flip your free hours to the morning. I used to get up at 4am so I could have a few hours of well rested work, then I would go bust my ass at work, and go to sleep shortly after getting home. I actually enjoyed that schedule a good bit.

If you can, find someone else that is driven and wants to break into the industry too. I helps you be responsible, be held accountable, and drives you to continue the grind. You can also post progress on polycount to keep you feeling accountable. I've heard that working on twitch or blogging can help people stay on task, but I haven't tried it.

And with that, my break is over! I hope this helps and if you decide to go for it, I look forward to seeing how you progress!  

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Sure no biggie. For instance I work 12hr night shifts, 5 days a week in the private security industry on construction sites as asset protection but still manage too fit in a bit of art here and there. Facts are, that in this day and age putting food on the table, clothes on your back and hard cover overhead are the essential basics of life, I'm afraid.

...so do what you gotta do in order to do what you WANT to do, simple!

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    back before I broke into the industry and was working on my portfolio, I had just moved out on my own at 18, and was working at......a fucking baby store lol (i needed  a job after my savings ran out and they were hiring :P) and also doing a night job 3 nights a week for an online dating company where I was basically screening new accounts for scammers/bots etc. 

I was still able to find time on a few evenings a week and weekends to work on my portfolio, so yea it is totally possible. Just give up things like netflix, and playing video games to invest in yourself instead of consuming content. Most people would be so much more successful if they simply flipped their production to consumption ratio.

I would advise setting concrete goals and an actual timeline, instead of just sitting down to produce art when you have a spare moment. write them down/put them on a white board above your computer so you are constantly reminded of what you want to achieve.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    technically I am working a second job right now, but not really. I daycare dogs out of my house. I alredy have four of my own, so what's a few more, right?

caveat is that it's not enough money to pay bills completely. Wife works and I have some other small but steady income, but anyway the point is to illustrate that there may be some ways you can earn money from home or with low effort. Also we live dirt ass cheap.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Its possible, I know people that do QA and are learning stuff on the side to become something else. It really depends on your personality and discipline.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's possible, but that survival job better not suck the life outt of you when you get back home to art.
    Really appreciated what groundskeeping on a golf course did NOT take from me when I was doing it for a month and a half after a botched Microsoft gig
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Spag_Eddy said:
    I guess this is probably really one of those "it depends on the person" type questions.

For me personally, I found that I loved 3D modeling and wanted to pursue it as a future career possibility but, at the time, worked in a fast-paced veterinary career that left me drained and exhausted every time I got off and came home and I just never had the drive or energy to commit to my 3D stuff. 
    It definitely helps if the day job isn't too mentally taxing (even if it's physically exhausting).
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, it's possible. It just boils down to time. I did QA/game testing back in late 2009-mid 2010, then went to compositing/vfx in mid/late 2010 to early 2014. Even though it was kinda of 3D-related or game related, it felt like it was a good 4+ years sucking the life out of me, after 8+ hr days, to 10+, and 12+. It's all time you spend outside of work, over the weekends.. maybe even before you go to work?

There's a sacrifice on something, whatever game you play or something that you spend time on. You'll eventually use that to sink some time on art. I did that with freelance early on, then portfolio stuff, during those 4+ years, and then I eventually quit my job, to spend more time on my portfolio (just realized my username here started in February 2014, when I was planning to leave my job lol, oh damn). You can do it. It might mess up your sleep schedule at some point lol, but you'll be fine if you keep it going.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The key is to stay off the drink and don't have a girlfriend. Both will keep you in bed too long. Both will make you extremely happy/angry/feeling like shit all in the space of a few hours. Both will drain your resources, but only one won't waste years of your life.......

Mate, it's more than doable. If you have the passion for 3D it will become an addiction. I've been in construction and freelancing simultaneously for donkey's years. I make enough money in my construction profession, at this stage, that I only have to work for 6 months of the year to pay for the other 6 that I devote to freelancing.

Added bonus is that I also travel the world for those 6 months and freelance with my laptop.

I've been offered plenty of in-house studio gigs over the years, but I wouldn't even get a third of what I make in construction.

Life is good. Granted, I put in plenty of hard graft and 60 hour weeks in all conditions over the years, but it's paid off. I hope to fully retire the construction work in the next year and go full time freelancing. I'll have enough money saved to buy an apartment for cash in Spain and will be completely mortgage/rent free for life. Freelancing will more than cover the cheap cost of living in Spain. Chase the dream, mate. If you have a goal and the willpower to see it through then do what makes you - or will eventually make you - happy. Best of luck.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you choose the right spouse, that can enable you to do things you otherwise couldn't.

Actually, it's just a matter of luck, really. Know way of knowing really. But I just want to point out that a relationship can be a catalyst to realizing your potential, not a detriment.
  • Staubkopf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Staubkopf polycounter lvl 3
    The key is to stay off the drink and don't have a girlfriend. Both will keep you in bed too long. Both will make you extremely happy/angry/feeling like shit all in the space of a few hours. Both will drain your resources, but only one won't waste years of your life.......

Mate, it's more than doable. If you have the passion for 3D it will become an addiction. I've been in construction and freelancing simultaneously for donkey's years. I make enough money in my construction profession, at this stage, that I only have to work for 6 months of the year to pay for the other 6 that I devote to freelancing.

Added bonus is that I also travel the world for those 6 months and freelance with my laptop.

I've been offered plenty of in-house studio gigs over the years, but I wouldn't even get a third of what I make in construction.

Life is good. Granted, I put in plenty of hard graft and 60 hour weeks in all conditions over the years, but it's paid off. I hope to fully retire the construction work in the next year and go full time freelancing. I'll have enough money saved to buy an apartment for cash in Spain and will be completely mortgage/rent free for life. Freelancing will more than cover the cheap cost of living in Spain. Chase the dream, mate. If you have a goal and the willpower to see it through then do what makes you - or will eventually make you - happy. Best of luck.

Now thats an awesome plan. I really like your devotion to art, and Im planning on doing the almost exact same thing
    this year :) I work in construction as well and in 2 years Ill earn enough to do art for 3-4 months solely a year.

But I do disagree on some things you said. First, I know some Spanish people here (Germany) and what Ive heard from them
    about Spain has left a somewhat disturbing taste. For example I heard criminal stories about stuff that I couldnt even imagine happening around here. Leaving your house alone for some weeks? Youre bound to get robbed, depending on where you live. The healthcare sucks as well, I rather stay here and pay rent for the rest of my life than living in a place where you cant easily find a good doctor. Housing being unaffordable for most people now sucks, but if you have good friends and enough love in your life, you dont need it. Material possessions such as big houses, german luxury cars and nice furniture are not worth a cent if youre sick and have nobody in your life.
    But I see that you are looking to live rentfree, which I can understand.

And I definitely disagree on your opinion about women. I found that a woman in my life will bring me to heights, in regards of
    time spent on art, hobbies and sports unknown to me. They have been my greatest inspiration and motivation in my life.
    Without them, Id die. Sounds dramatic, but Im getting much more done with a girl by my side, than when being alone.
    Love is my elixir of life and only the touch of a soft, warm womanly hand can do that.

Also having troubles or even "fights" in a relationship is pretty normal. There are women who are more dramatic than others
    (spanish women are surely to be quite intense emotionally, as most of the southern girls) but if you find one that fits your personality, youll love it, or her that is :D

As for the OP. You can do it. Find some time where you can work on it but DONT cut on social time and relaxation. It will backfire and make you suffer. Humans are social creatures, everybody needs friends to have a good time with, to laugh and relax together. These are NOT the things you want to cut from your life, but rather the other things. Pixelmasher is right:
    Flip your consumption time with production time. Start slowly, cutting away games, social media etc until you feel comfortable and getting stuff done. It will go slower than working full time or dedicate some months alone to it, but its
    more healthy for you. All the best
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

But in this post https://polycount.com/discussion/209004/what-do-you-do-besides-3d you said,

musashidan said:
    41 now, but still taking home young birds to make up for it. ;) 
    So you meant literal birds right? With wings and all? 
    Don't pick them off the street you might get bird flu. Probably better to keep chickens. 
    I'd recommend the Rhode Island Red, they're tough little bas****s.

Or did you mean human females, i.e use and throw, different girl at every port, no commitment, pump em and dump em, etc

The latter may have merit for some (except the last bit especially if she gets a bun in the oven/ hen lays egg, said egg hatches and you get sued/have to pay child/chick support/buy more bird seed), but I do think that overall it actually costs more in the long term with very little return.
    Like because of the no strings attached nature of it, there's no future in potential tax benefits that come with married life, or a second income source. Also a far higher possibility of contracting an STD or SARS in the case of actual birds.

And of course of course being in a supportive loving relationship definitely can help, its finding one that's probably going to cost more money than actually being in one.
    Having children is a different matter, but some countries do offer child care subsidies.

I'd prefer to find someone within the field so that I'd have more in common with them, seeing as most of my time is spent doing this which I enjoy immensely. Need to do more travelling too in good time.

I agree about staying off the drink, maybe once a while for social occasions or chocolates with rum in them (yum!)

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Drink, birds, chickens, STDs and/or SARs aside!

OP, labouring as a Tiler is the sensible option in order too fund whilst along side underpin your continued CG progress as those responses above thus far clearly point out is entirely possible/doable, so really the 'ball is definitely in your court' as too whether a sustainable situation in both mental and indeed physical aspects to cope with on a daily basis?! which only you can answer...

Some parting advice, I'm a habitual creature probably stems from my army days, with a penchant for schedules, so perhaps in that vein sit down and customise a self-teaching program of a sort, that'll enable prolonged learning over an initial few months lets say, to gauge as a form of test case and see how you go...

Anyways whatever you decide, best of luck. 

Cheers.       

• Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Having my girlfriend through this perilous journey is probably one of the only reasons I have been able to tough through it, honestly. She is the one who supported my decision to leave my career and pursue this 3D artist dream, and she is the one who continues to support my decision through all of my doubts and times of darkness. I can't imagine being where I am today if it weren't for her constant love and support.

Girlfriends are awesome!