Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Rose R

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
RoseElle polycounter lvl 4
Hello! I thought I’d make a sketchbook here as I’m currently on 3D sculpting/concept art/storytelling learning bender. I don’t have many people around for feedback (other than family and friends who just tend to say ‘it’s nice’) so I’m braving the Internet and hoping I can get some useful bits of feedback here :) 

A bit about me: I’ve been working as a 3D modeller in London on children’s tv shows for about 2 years. Then about 5 months ago I left my job to come back home and reassess what I wanted to do with life (I.e I wasn’t particularly enjoying kids tv...). I’ve spent these five months sorting my head out, improving my health/fitness (working a 9-5 in London made me unhealthy lol) freelancing for a few places and also trying to improve my work. 

I’ve put the links to my art station/Instagram if any one is interested :) -
https://www.artstation.com/roseeleanor
https://www.instagram.com/rosierainy/

Recently I’ve been making friends with zBrush and have been sculpting some animal busts.

The giraffe and the Sphinx are ‘done’ - I’m treating them more as exercises where once I feel like I’d learned a few things I move finish up and move on.

The current work work in progress is this guy:

I’m going to add some boxing gloves hanging around his neck (because you know, he’s a hare) and some folds on his hoodie.. I’m sort of happy with it but I’m going to change the eyes to have larger pupils. 

Anyway, that’s the intro to my sketchbook thread... hopefully I will keep updating and the work will keep improving :)

Tl:dr I’m trying to create artwork for myself and improve as a person/artist. Crit is pretty welcome

Replies

• RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished him off! Overall pretty pleased with the outcome :) 

• RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started a new sculpt! Of this character that I designed for a 2D animation idea I had about pole dancing:

So here's a work in progress of her:

I've been using the sculptris Pro mode a lot recently but actually have been finding it drives you round in circles a bit because of how easy it is to smooth everything down and start again. You can get lost in details with it really easily... I'm using dynamesh heavily on her hair and really enjoying the process! 
    Feedback totally welcome :) 
  • RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling her finished - learned all I can from this, am pleased with the outcome and now time to move on!

• RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a little break from modelling to do some painting. I watched some FZDSchool videos on youtube and they suggested that painting organic, less rigid things, like trees, rocks and weird animals is really good for improving your confidence because its less easy to spot things that are 'off' with those things. It means you have some freedom to focus on mark making rather than obsessing on whether it looks like it should.
    I figured clouds fit in this category :)

• RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a gramophone just for a bit of fun. Forgot to share it. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq3Q8EIaauw             
  • RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a wagon that I think turned out nicely as a background prop in a mobile games advert:

• Phenopeia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phenopeia polycounter lvl 2
    Hey! I just wanted to say I really like your sketchbook and your personal story behind it. I came here because of beautifully executed  gramophone on the front page and found those adorable animals (well, cute words probably won't be the best description, but there is something amazing about them). I just love them, idea feels so fresh and I like the flow of the form/lines. I know, you probably wanted some more detailed feedback/crit, but I just find your sketchbook so inspiring. Best luck in following projects and thank you for posting previous ones!
  • RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phenopeia said:
    Hey! I just wanted to say I really like your sketchbook and your personal story behind it. I came here because of beautifully executed  gramophone on the front page and found those adorable animals (well, cute words probably won't be the best description, but there is something amazing about them). I just love them, idea feels so fresh and I like the flow of the form/lines. I know, you probably wanted some more detailed feedback/crit, but I just find your sketchbook so inspiring. Best luck in following projects and thank you for posting previous ones!
    Thank you so much :) I hadn't realised it had been on the front page until I saw your comment! I love sculpting and although have been busy with freelance work - which is annoying bcause I can't share any of that  :'( - I'm hoping to do some more animals soon enough.  I'm pleased you like my work  :D
  • RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a spyglass in to kill some time whilst waiting for emails...

• RoseElle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpted a bust in zBrush probably took about 7 hours - I didn't have a plan for it, just wanted to sculpt a bust because I love making faces :) I want to learn how to do fiber mesh hair...