Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Combine: Satellite train" animated short blog

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Sigmatron interpolator

Howdy fellas. Didn’t posted anything for a while. Right now in my free time I am working on animated short.

I have some content already done so i will share them in a form of a blog. Let’s start with some images of a main character. His name is Combine an operative of some multiplanet sort of Interpol organization. More about story I will tell and show in future posts, but right now  some renders!

Well, what I am planning to do: animated short movie with some “gameplay-ish” elements. In a reasonable amount of time. So I am aiming for duration around 1:30 and one location. It will be rendered in UE4. For now renders from Marmoset toolbag 3.

Maybe later l will switch on artstation blogs or something like that, but right now here, on polycount.

I don’t set any deadlines, working in steady stable pace, updating and changing elements(shoulder armor for example xD), making this movie is a great fun for me and, I  hope, you will have some too:)

To illustrate some progress and iterations here are evolution of head texture. I will show more stuff like that in future posts.

And here is rig controls screenshot. I already tested its import into UE4, everything works fine.

I guess next step is to prepare content for a next post and work on another assets and UE4 studies.

Oh, and don’t forget to like on artstation:3

Replies

• Cherry
    Offline / Send Message
    Cherry polycounter lvl 9
  • Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator

Wow, it’s already more than two weeks since latest post, I planned to make it like in a week or so.

Anyway now I want to show some stuff that I will use in first person section of an animated short.

This is my first troubleshooting of first person view animation. The main catch is
    to make animation exactly for only one camera, so from every another angle they are can look weird. And later render final scene with environment using 2 cameras with different FOVs: one for weapon like 30 degrees or something like that and another for environment. There is very cool and detailed guide by  Michał "Pirat" Kubas  about gun modelling for FPP games.

Some more detailed renders and some light mood building.

Here is Combine’s military grade bionic hand.

model
    Next is “素粒子2997” Multitask weapon system. Which can be used an a planet surface and in tight corridors of spaceships(there are no spaceships in this animated movie:( )
    This asset I wanted to make from concept and well, it went pretty rough for me, I didn’t thought enough on its mechanical parts so it went from sketch to some sort of mood board on top of reference board :)

When I started to model this gun it just doesn’t worked on basic mechanical elements which I planned to use. So I took some time and redesign it.

Next time I am planning to show full character model and i hope at least some test renders from unreal engine. Right now studying lightning in UE4 and working on a droid model.
    don’t forget to like on artstation3

• Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator
    And I am back. It’s been a while and a lot has happened, but I am back on track with my animated short. Today I want to show you teaser. It took some time to get used to Unreal engine 4. But now I am really appreciate UE4, it’s an amazing engine and you can achieve quite good results in a relatively short time. Also I want to thank Massimo Usai aka CONFRONTATIONAL for allowing to use his track: In the line of fire. His music is so great, check it out!

Phew. Finally I can return to content creation. Hope next post will be much sooner . Dont forget to like on artstation :)

• AtomicToyRobot
    Offline / Send Message
    AtomicToyRobot polycounter lvl 11
    This is absolutely awesome, I feel a little out of line commenting like this but I did notice the arm as it comes up feels very linear and robotic though.
  • CraigMartin3D
    Tidy dude. I thought the arm comes up quite sharp too but it feels like it's whipping up which I like. Great mood and his face is great. It'd be nice if it felt like he was looking at something that required an expression of some sort. His looks a little passive amidst an environment of drama.
  • Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator
    This is absolutely awesome, I feel a little out of line commenting like this but I did notice the arm as it comes up feels very linear and robotic though.
    Thanks! Well, animation is my weakest point, but i will work on it. Considering animation my main idea is to make it anime-stylized, low-framerate. But still i need to study this style more.
    Tidy dude. I thought the arm comes up quite sharp too but it feels like it's whipping up which I like. Great mood and his face is great. It'd be nice if it felt like he was looking at something that required an expression of some sort. His looks a little passive amidst an environment of drama.
    :smile:  Same, gonna focus more on this aspect in a next teaser and full short, still experimenting. Glad you like it!
  • Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator

Hi fellas. And again it took me some time, but I am finally ready to show next character. This is automated droid used in private property protection fields. Usually they are used on. Planet surface, on bases, plants, spaceports and ground transport routes. Droids are quite dusty and battered will be stored on each atomic railway carriage. But enough words, let's start from the concept I made some time ago. It is us super rough, but I needed to start from something. 

Before I started to work on concept. I don't like to gather to much of the references, just minimum amount to get in the mood.

Drawn ultra rough sketch

Basically it is part of the basemesh with overpaint. This style of concepting suits me pretty well, it is so easy and fast to catch an idea. Its first iteration of the concept. I will refine it in the modeling stage.

Legs was the fun part. I wanted to follow simple “rule” of the Combine animated shot. Robots and different mechanisms, especially military should be designed in a readable way from mechanical standpoint. Even a little simplistic.

early prototyping of the legs

Then I made a sliding part, I tested it  with inverse kinematics with few tricks with constraints on the bones.

When legs was designed, I returned to the concepts and tried to made some new mood pics. I am often showing all the progress to my friends and colleagues, to get helpful feedback and to get angry on them.

Last one is too cyberpunkish for my vision of the animated short:)

But let's jump to final renders and animations

https://gfycat.com/carefreegaseousiberianbarbel

https://gfycat.com/practicalneatdutchsmoushond

https://gfycat.com/difficultentirebeauceron

More about used techniques and tricks I will tell in my next article on the 80.lv  you can check out part 1 here.You can follow me on twitter or artstation, I am not posting so often but I will be glad to be in touch.

Thanks for reading! I’ll try to make and show some new stuff. I’m am quite excited about it, can’t wait to show(and make)  more <3🍒! 

P.S I hope polycount will add some sort of of support for gfycat or similar resources because posting a gif right now is kind of a problem.

• Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator

Please watch with sound

Hi! I made some progress on my project. Long time no see ;) Achieved next milestone, second ‘teaser’. Thanks to the 3Force for piece of their track 'Shape Shifter', it is great to set the mood. Rendered in UE4.

I made this droid dispenser, it is kinda cargo train defense system with 2 droids on each wagon. First I gathered some references and modeled basic mechanism

Than I made rough paintover/sketch

At this point I wanted this thing to look like some piece of industrial machine.

High Poly, just classic subdiv modelling with some Mesh Fusion from modo

Some texturing iterations

I basically created this industrial metal smart material and with some tweaks i made some roof tiles too

Some simple rig with connected channels

Set up light rig and camera animation. But I guess its and theme for another post:) Next I’ll proceed to the modelling of the atomic industrial train and desert planet environment. See ya soon!❤🍒.
    Don't forget to like and follow on artsation!

• Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator