Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shay's 3D Character Art Sketchbook

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
shayleen_hulbert interpolator
<edit>
Most recent piece!

This will just be a large thread of all the projects i'm working on in my own time!
I used to split everything up but i kind of like the idea of keeping everything in one place so its easier for me to update regularly. 

Thank you for stopping by!

Replies

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Last week a did a quick study of an eye cast in Zbrush. I really enjoyed doing this, its so nice just to strip away the pressure of creating a full game ready piece vs a little sculpt for fun. 

Thanks for stopping by! 
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that my big project Guilly is finished I've been working on some smaller projects to chill out for a while. 

A splatoon gun fanart and some hair studies. I'll be doing the hair in lots of different styles and haircuts but its fun to just do something smaller for a little while. 

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been getting a kick out of hand painted weapons recently. I need to get better at box modelling so its pretty fun to go back to basics for a while.

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

Some more swooorrddsss 

The textures are pretty much done for now so its time to rig then add some FX! Excite!!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really nice work, love the hand painted stuff :)
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @lotet !! I really love doing it as well. Something nice about just painting rather than thinking about mask management!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on another hand painted project! Its really fun to just focus on painting for mini speedy projects than putting my everything into a crazy big PBR project. So here is Genie Kid!

Artstation renders here!

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    This year has been a slow year in terms of personal work but i picked up an old project i started last year to spruce it up and make it less... Bad. I just wanted to do a mini art dump to show the progress of this project in one place as its spread all over my twitter at the moment and ain't no one got time to sift through my bad memes to find them all.
    SO here we go!

This is what Sakura looked like about a year a go when i stopped working on her:

The updated sculpt version!

Baked and retoped!

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Then i worked on some anime eye tests! I don't have magical tech wizard powers so i tried to achieve sparkly eyes in the quickest easiest way possible. Layered alphas, specular maps and emmisives!

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    For textures i used a mixture of Quixel, Photoshop and 3Dcoat. I mostly use quixel for the specular and gloss values for the materials but then throw out all the normal and albedo information so i can build it up by hand.

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrick Martinez and I worked together to make a simple rig for her (which i'm hoping to make available for animators) 

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you for stopping by!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I have a little more time for personal work i'm going to try and keep this up to date a little more. Fingers crossed that my good intentions hold up!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently working on a project while i'm inbetween jobs. With the holidays often i find i have a little extra time to myself. 

The OG concept is by Xuexiang Zhang, I love all of his work so its been a lot of fun so far to work on this Parkour boy. 

This is where he is currently, hopefully i've have the highpoly done tonight and then i can clean it up and start on retop!

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

High poly all done! Retop time!
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Loving this latest sculpt shayleen! Great work!
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    This last guy has some really great hair! That's some amazing and crisp detail you have going for the rest of him, too! It'll be great to see where you take him next, Shay.
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I'm happy that you like him!

I have some big updates! His textures are almost done but i thought i would post up a little dump of my work over the process.

^ ^ ^ Base colours with baked lighting and some simple gradients are done here

^ ^ ^ At this point his skin and materials are still very plain, everything felt too much like plastic. So i spent a day just finalising and poking at the values.

^ ^ ^ Played with the skin roughness. I don't like to keep the skin a uniform gloss/roughness because oil builds up mainly in the tzone of the face so i like to add some variation there so it doesn't feel flat.

^ ^ ^ Playing with metals so they have some variation for the light to pick up BUT keeping it soft enough that it doesn't look realistic or noisy. 

Stay hydrated kids!!

^ ^ ^ And then i like to add variation in fabrics across the model. The design is all about block colour and i could keep it simple by keeping all the blacks in the same material across the board but that's not extra enough for me so i like to add variation where i can. 

Breathable fabrics are my jam and they are an easy way to get in some cool pattern work without adding too much noise.
    Add that shit everywhere please! Yeah booooy
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

Then a little before and after of my base colours and materials to the final edits and mats. I still need to get some nice renders of the final textures so you can see it all up close but i still have a feeeeew tiiiiiny things i want to add here and there. 

Thanks for stopping by!
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    I saw your wips on Twitter and just found them here. i really love this last character, freaking good looking!
  • HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Love your work Uni ;) Just wondering how you bake your lighting for your base colours?
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much @UchiLT !

@LeahM
    You can either steal the green channel of your object normal and create a clipping mask above it of a solid colour in Photoshop or there is a "stylised baked lighting" generator in substance painter (i think Quixel has an equivalent too but i forget its name right now).
  • Yuzach
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuzach greentooth
    Amazing projects and so many useful info!  I really like your approach to texturing the face and working with skin roughness. So great!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates!  have made a super dirty rig and blocked out some poses.
    I really wanted to put him in a crazy parkour action pose but my rig limitations were so bad that i didn't really have the scope for it T^T
    Maybe one day someone will want to animate him and will do all the crazy stuff i couldn't!

And the final textures with a cheeky little poserooni

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    He's all done!
    Original concept by Xuexiang Zhang 
    www.artstation.com/mrxuexiang 

He has been a lot of fun to work on and i'm really glad i had the time to really push myself and make him something special. The shape language in Xuexiang's work is always so fun to work on and i hope i did it justice!

On to something new!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the something new! 
    Work is a little slow so i'm trying to keep to the 9-5 lifestyle with personal work, at least i'm doing something and keeping my art muscles in use. I haven't done anything hand painted in a while i really wanted to update my dusty skills in that area.

Normally i will try to replicate the concept super close but i haven't tried to explore my own hand painted vibe so here is the perfect chance! I saw Geneveive's really cute fox boy called Willow and she kindly gave me her blessing to build him in 3D!

A little process gif of the block-out

Because i'm obsessed with gif's obvs
    Hands up who else's models look like hot scary trash for 40% of the process before it actually looks like the concept! 

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

The sculpt was pretty quick to get to done as i only want it to bake out a nice diffuse but i wanted to add extra details like folds, stitching and some wear and tear to push the model a little further. My last hand painted character was very simple and i want to really push this one! Maybe i should use this character to practice my rigging skills too! WHO KNOWS?!
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Very good on you to keep up the 9-5. Schedule is really helpful. You're really motoring through this little guy! Comin along very nicely! I like that your taking your own creative liberty on the final rendering. Looking forward to the result!
  • Edrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good. I would had that cut in his ear just to break off the symmetry and add his chest hair, the slender neck gives off a more cat like look. Looking forward to the the hand painted look.
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    This guy is looking great, @shayleen_hulbert! It's really cool to see your approach on the eyes. Even this early on the read really well when the model is rotating around; I'm looking forward to see how they turn out in the end.

It's probably a little late into the project since you're already onto the low poly bakes, but that chest / neck tuft would look really great along with the same style you made his tail. Either way it'll be awesome to see the next updates!
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    Really curious to see how you'll be handling the eye on the fox. Loving the progress so far! 
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I forgot about the cut in the ear but have added it into the low poly after the bakes. It definitely adds more character and breaks up the symm much nicer than without. 

The only reason the neck tuft isn't there is because i just couldn't make something i liked work in zbrush, for some reason it always look very awkward like a neck scarf? The 2D does it perfectly but i couldn't figure out how to get something so thick to fit between his shirt and on his neck. I'll give it another go in the low poly as it may be simpler. I think the colours help a lot to communicate he is a fox rather than a cat though which is good!

For now i have the base colours from substance painter on and its not time to polish and get in the texture and hard edges into the paint. I've left it all quite soft for now as i prefer to paint the harder details by hand than to let it be generated. 

Lets see how it goes!
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Yeah I agree generated details don't have the same feel. By neck tuft do you mean his chest hair? You could maybe have a smaller tuft to hint towards it without it feeling like a scarf. Whether you do or don't though he's on a good track. Can't wait to see this fellow done :smile:

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    @theStoff Yes! The tuft being the fur on the neck.
    I think i'm going to paint a little bit of fur detail on rather than creating large chunks like the tail. In the drawing you can cheat adding a lot of mass on a small neck all the way to the jaw but in 3D i just didn't like how it filled out his collar and made it feel cramped  :(

A little update on his textures so far!
    I haven't had a chance to work on his leather or weapon yet but after some feedback from some buddies i think he is slowly on the right track!

I still have some feedback to work on that they have given me but anything else is always appreciated!
  • Edrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I've done my share of Furry commissions, I know your pain. A workaround I tend to do now is to sculpt the "tuft" flowing either left or right instead of having it poking frontwards. I groom it.

Anyway I feel the neck is still missing something, perhaps a little too thin and long. Maybe if it were to be wider and not so separate from the jawline, like nick from Zootopia? It's your boat either way, just enjoying the ride.

The paint on the belt buckle and the gem in the sword are sweet!

• theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Yea you could make it off to the side or simply smaller. That said textured on also works :smile:

• shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    I have completely abandoned this thread and website BUT i desperately want to be better at sharing more progress and being available for feedback! I'm determined this time! But lets not look back at the thread and see how many times i've said that..
    So in terms of updates, i finished the fox (i know this was back in march 2019 my gosh)
    It can be seen here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mqEbNa

I've worked on a few things since then but my current project is a Medabot collaboration with a friend of mine!
    Here is the progress so far - 

The design has changed quite a lot over time, at first a rhino beetle but now we are going for a Scarab inspiration. The plan is to have lots of animation opportunity like rocket wrists, retractable swords, 2d screen eyes, his elytra (i think that is what its called) is independent and can wiggle and all the joints are very flexible etc so i hope its a lot of fun to see in motion!

Here is the current state:

I have rebuilt most of the parts in Maya using the sculpt as a guide then i'll take it back into Zbrush to clean up pinching/bad modelling then and add details like bolts, panelling, damage and inset details. I could also do this in the texture but i prefer how it all looks when baked? We shall see, i'm still undecided. 
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I miss the streams but always love watching your progress! These shapes are great, will keep an eye on this for sure :D
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

The progress so far! Still got a little work to do on the hands, i have a ref on they type of mechanics i'm going to use but the thumb just isn't playing nice so i'm going to try and figure that one out. Do robot thumbs always look strange? That a thing? But other than that he is pretty much done.

I also made an IMM to make floating inset normal details so i hope that test works out so i can stop doing it with booleans forever (yeah i could do it in the texture but it never looks as nice!)
  • Nandx
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandx polycounter lvl 6

The progress so far! Still got a little work to do on the hands, i have a ref on they type of mechanics i'm going to use but the thumb just isn't playing nice so i'm going to try and figure that one out. Do robot thumbs always look strange? That a thing? But other than that he is pretty much done.

I also made an IMM to make floating inset normal details so i hope that test works out so i can stop doing it with booleans forever (yeah i could do it in the texture but it never looks as nice!)
    I loved Medabots as a kid :).  You could look at prosthetic hands for reference on the thumb but yeah they do look pretty weird irl. Might be worth checking out Gundams aswell if you haven't already. Can't wait to see it textured!
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    If you wanna go canon check the Tinpets for reference, the mechanics are below the glove so you don't get to see them: https://medarot.meowcorp.us/wiki/Tinpet
    Tinpet - Medapedia
    They have both Male and Female variations, 
    I also have the toys from 1999, in there you can see their hands aren't as blocky, indeed, they're kinda squishy and have 3 rounded screws.

Would be cool if you could make a custom Medal for it as well, maybe a stand design? 
    Medal - Medapedia

Progress is good so far! I'll follow the thread. 
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nandx Thank you! I don't know why i didn't think of Gundam hands, there is a lot of perfect ref out there. Going to take a look and try to implement that.

@LuisCherubini Thank you! I noticed that they are originally gloves, I think that is for ease of animation? But i really wanted to do a mech hand as a glove seemed to visually contradict my own design. I'm making a Medabot but i'm modernising it a little while trying to keep the chunky charm.

I will be making a medal though! I'm thinking of having his gemstone lift up so you can put it in there.
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

Still have the medal to do and fix up the hands some more but I couldn't help but make a fun render
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

A quick detour of a study that I want to work up to game res. That way i can practice my skin texturing technique! I've done dark rich skin tones before but i don't think i ever fully pulled it off so here is a chance to really break it down and try to nail it. 

I did get feedback for my Medabot, so i have to rebuild the jetpack so it can open for a medal to go inside and then i will start retop!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

Trying to steer away from my usual stylised roots and try to lean more towards realism. I'm not going for photo real but just trying to branch out a little from the usual. I got some feedback on the head and i have a little more to so in terms of cleaning up the planes. 

I always get the angle of the nose into the face wrong!

I think i need to be able to see more of the eye from this angle and maybe the face is too flat in general? Will take a look this weekend before working on the medabot backpack
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message

After a little more feedback on proportion and working on the planes a bit more. I think i have her closer to my ref and definitely looking more her age too which is a bonus!

I'm going to move onto retop because i think the texture will do a lot to help with making her feel more fleshed out as i don't want to work on the skin textures in the sculpt
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates on the Medabot!

I got some feedback about some of the shape language from the concept artist that i fixed then i reworked the hands to look more toyish and functional (closely used the Gundam hands suggested by Nandx).

The backpack now opens to allow the medal to be put inside of it, There is still some little edits i want to do to areas i found were too plain during the retop phase. Like the jets in his wrists and backpack. Just a cone shape isn't enough for the jets, i think some little ridges or something would help further the narrative that this is where he propels from.

As LuisCherubini asked, There is now also a medal design! It needs a little cleanup but overall with how tiny its going to be i don't think it needs much detail to look impactful. As long as it's cute!

Retop is also done! Got a little clean up to do here as i could have done better in areas like the chest and crown but overall i'm happy that I've been able to retain a lot of the shape. We shall see how well it does once baked!

Working on two things at once has been quite refreshing, if i get stuck or bored with one, its nice to have something so different to switch back to. 

Zuri Also has her retop and unwraps done. Really looking forward to diving into the textures there too! I just decimated the scarf because it isn't the focus of this exercise and felt like it would be hell on earth to do by hand.