Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Showcase] Onna-Bugeisha, feudal japan artstation challenge

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
bkost interpolator
Hey polycounters, here is my project for the Artstation Challenge. I finally wrapped up the character and I'm happy to be sharing it with you all. It was great fun participating in the challenge with the community. I learned a lot and got involved with other artists which was a pleasure. 

I'd like to give a shout to the Character Designer, Giorgio Baroni. Go give him a follow. He was part of the character design challenge and has some beautiful work. I'd also like to give another shout out to @carvuliero he's provided me and the community with wonderful feedback regarding anatomy. 

You can see my challenge post here, where I go into detail concerning the history of the Onna-Bugeisha (female martial artist) and dig into their clothing and weaponry. And high res beauty shots on my artstation page

Thank you for looking.
cheers!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    That hats really cool. 

Are you willing to share how you accomplished that?
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Great work man Turned out really nice, I think the presentation is a killer! 
    Next I reckon you would get more bang for your buck if you focused on a strong face. Secondary forms are a little lacking which takes away from a dynamic sculpt. 

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    From first glance what I like the most is the striking silhouette. It really complements the angular aspect of the clothing/armour. Weapons also look pretty sick. 

However, for a better texture job there are two things that might help. 
    One is hue variation in the albedo. No object is one block colour this technique is used for skin, but it really helps other materials as well. 

The other seems to be roughness. The cloth seems have the same roughness as dried paint. (might be your normal map contributing also) . But a little bit of roughness value being changed with the dirt brush in painter can really help. 

@bkost
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    ---Hi Bigtime, thank you. Yes I can share a brief overview on how I accomplished it and the techniques I used. There are two main pieces that make up the hat. The Straw and Trim. The Straw was made using Nanomesh in zbrush with a simple IMM of clumped long cylinders. The Trim was made using a custom built IMM curve mesh along the edge. The curve mesh was built in Blender using the same techniques to build a basic rope curve imm. 

---Hi Lou, thanks man! I plan to tackle some shorter anatomy studies now and slowly gear up for another character piece. Yes I definately want to improve upon my anatomy and face sculpts.
    I appreciate the critique. Yes the clothes come off pretty rough in marmoset, unfortunately the pbr lookdev isnt perfect matching in painter and I glossed (no pun intended) over the cloth texture once it was in marmoset. 
    Thanks for note about hue variation, that should definately help. I need to study more about the face color regions.

@BIGTIMEMASTER
    @Lou_