Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Building WIP Feedback and Critiques welcome

chris_holding
triangle
Offline / Send Message
chris_holding triangle
Working on a new modular building for Unreal.  Have started blocking out some segments and making sure that they snap together nicely.  Still more assets to go but want to get my cameras and an idea of lighting in place in Unreal. 

Replies

• MorbidPandaUK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MorbidPandaUK polycounter lvl 2
    That's looking good so far! They all seem to fit together very nicely, and there's an appropriate amount of detail. I'll be interested to see how they look with textures on them.
  • chris_holding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris_holding triangle
    Update on the scene! I started throwing some temp lighting in and some place holder materials, then went into the texturing hole doing some passes on several materials for experimentation. Some of the normal maps need revisiting but will address these on my next pass on more finer detail work. Have limited my materials to mostly tiling material although I have had to give way to a couple on assets. I am currently tossing with the idea of adding items in the shop windows for a greater sense of depth but can cross the method of how after i do more prop work. As always critiques always welcomed.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Your lighting looks good and everything looks very realistic. Only critique I have is the scale of the building. It looks too small compared to the mannican and also compared to the street materials
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice modeling work on the architecture  :)
  • ZaqSchlanger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZaqSchlanger polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely digging the modeling and overall style, thought I definitely can agree, the scale is off compared to the scale guy. 
  • jake1210
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jake1210 polycounter lvl 4
    The meshes look awesome! good work
  • perrivince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perrivince polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome, I actually don't think the scale is off, I think because the character is floating he looks pretty big because he's closer to the camera but also looks like hes on the ground. I think just placing him on the ground would help. 
  • chris_holding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris_holding triangle
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Turns out the player was floating off the ground in previous screenshots which made the scale look a little odd. I am working on getting screenshots together at the moment for another update in the next day or so.
  • Dreyzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work so far. Your attention to detail is impressive. I'm curious, what are your pivots like on the angled pieces? I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate more angles / complex shapes in a modular kit.
  • chris_holding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris_holding triangle
    @Dreyzie I tried to place all my pivots on the furthest point on the X axis, put an image up for reference. All the rotation and placement was in engine but I tried to ensure that all the pieces snap together on a 45 degree angle so i can maximize the kit as much as possible. I do have some small gaps that are not immediately noticeable but I am intend to cover these up with props and decals. Hope it helps ;) 
  • chris_holding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris_holding triangle
    Update Dump! Added some more props to the scene to add a little more life to it which helps but still have some more in mind in the future. I have spent some time playing with lighting also but I feel more improvements can be made as I am still trying to dial in the volumetric lighting with the fog. I also have played with the ground materials more by experimenting with Parallax Occlusion Mapping to push the values of the brick work. I feel I am not far from calling this piece complete but inevitably there will be more things I can do to distract me. As always feedback and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.