Home Technical Talk

3DS MAX: Turn/Align Edge Script?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Anyone know of a script that I can use to turn edges in either Mesh or Poly mode so they all go the same direction?  As in I select a ring or two and it will make all the edges flow the same.  It's a real PITA doing this by hand.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. Don't have Max in front of me, but what about deleting that row of quads, and using Bridge to recreate them? What do the edges look like after that?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there is a "retriangulate" button inside of the Edit Poly tools. It might be in the graphite modeling toolkit? 
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would require re-UVing unfortunately Eric.  That and attempting to Bridge a complete ring many times will angle the edges , so now you have an extra step to remake into rings. Mark, tried the retriangulate.  No difference.
    I did attempt the ribbon/edges/spin edge, but it does the same issue as bridging complete rings, it spins the loop edge.

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Spin is for turning a "visible" edge.
    For turning an invisible edge, you have to use the Turn tool (under tris) and click on the diagonal "invisible" edge.
    Considering you re in editable poly, you can select the faces to turn (use Dot loop to select 1face every 2 faces) and run this:
    obj = selection[1]<br>faces = polyop.getFaceSelection obj<br>for f in faces do obj.TurnDiagonal f 1

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the script Noor, unfortunately all it seems to do is flip the invisible edged, (see larger ring), versus making them all go the same direction.  The inner ring was already directional, it just reversed the direction.

I understand what you are saying with the dot loop to only select the edges that need turning, but that assumes the cylinder is consistent with its turns and requires manually doing every ring versus all at once.

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    yes it requires selecting all wanted faces first. I'm affraid i don't have a better solution.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the script none the less Noors. :)