Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Alpha Quality

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
So I've been working in Zbrush and have always had issues with Alphas. Every time I create them it seems like I need 1 million + polygons to make them look half decent on my models. Sometimes even more. I've used Zremesher to get a decent polygon flow and even in that case I need like 1 - 10 million polygons to get rid of the ugly edges that come with it.

Is there any idea how I can get better results without having such insanely large polycounts, since usually I work with lots of subtools and having 1 - 5 million models will add up quickily.

Replies

• gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe try using the newer Sculptris Pro Mode (At least when using alpha with brushes). It will generate geo where the stroke is being done so instead of having a ton of geo addead uniformly just to add detail in some area, you will be adding geo specifically where you need it.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    check out dynamic subdivision. 
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks! I'll try out the sculptris pro mode and see how it works. I dont think dynamic subdivision will help? Isn't it just a preview of subdividing so I dont think it solves my issue.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    yes, it provides a preview. So you can then use your alpha's at a lower resolution which creates ugly edges but keeps your machine from getting bogged down, use dynamic subd to make sure it's going to look how you want, and then at the end you can subdivide things before export as needed. 

It's not a fun way to work but if keeping normal topology and/or subdivisions is necessary (i.e. no sculptris pro), it might be the only way besides dividing your subtools out into separate projects.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Look into HD sculpting mode as well. It's a very old and very overlooked technique that allows you to go into billions of points with little performance hit. I would avoid Dynamic Sub-D. It is intended for hard-surface modeling and a completely different topology than optimal organic sculpting topology.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks for all the suggestions, I tried using a few of these methods and am happy with the results!