Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Weapon art dump

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hey guys, here is some of the work I did for Overkill's The Walking Dead.  The project has been a blast to work on and I got the chance to work on some really talented artists. 
The renders  are taken from Unreal, there will be a couple of shoots of every weapon, the rest can be found on my artstation here: https://www.artstation.com/maxivz
The weapons have been made to work with the weapon customization system we have ingame and they support stuff like custom stocks, rails, mags, etc.
I will keep adding more weapons as I upload them.
Hope you guys like them!

Replies

• konraden
    Offline / Send Message
    konraden polycounter lvl 8
    Hello! I also worked on this project togheter with Maxi and its been two really good years of weapon production.
    Here are some of the weapons, more at https://www.artstation.com/jlarsen and more weapons to come.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Those materials are so nice. 

I would pay a little money for a breakdown video covering your texturing process.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks @BIGTIMEMASTER , maybe some day we can get around to do some breakdown on the textures, but its nothing unusual, just the usual texturing process.
    Here are some more!

• radiancef0rge
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    That is what experts always say. But you are hitting a level of realism here that is really impressive. I am sure the secret is in your careful observation -- that's what I am really hoping to get from a tutorial. How you are looking at the references, breaking it into layers, that sort of thing. 

Anyway, awesome work thanks for sharing.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Those look very good in the studio renders and the material definition and modeling is really spot on but the large scale details in wear and drybrushing is extremely underrepresented and it would look far better under normal lighting with stronger edge definition. All the small scale material definition just blends in another and then there is nearly no contrast left. Right now the studio lighting with the sharp highlights is compensating for this hard. 

Here is my favorite example: https://hostr.co/ImW67NTlY9Ei 
    Also I noticed there is no baked AO ingame?
    Hope that helps! 
  • Lokthar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokthar polycounter lvl 7
    That is what experts always say. But you are hitting a level of realism here that is really impressive. I am sure the secret is in your careful observation -- that's what I am really hoping to get from a tutorial. How you are looking at the references, breaking it into layers, that sort of thing. 

Anyway, awesome work thanks for sharing.
    Agree! I will totally pay for a tutorial like that!
  • Niknesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Niknesh polycounter lvl 10
    Damn, awesome work guys!
    I'd pay whatever for the texturing tutorial :smiley:

Did you go with booleans/Zbrush or similar technique to make the guns?
    Also, these renders are really good, do you have some unique studio lighting setup inside UE?
  • konraden
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike said:
    Those look very good in the studio renders and the material definition and modeling is really spot on but the large scale details in wear and drybrushing is extremely underrepresented and it would look far better under normal lighting with stronger edge definition. All the small scale material definition just blends in another and then there is nearly no contrast left. Right now the studio lighting with the sharp highlights is compensating for this hard. 

Here is my favorite example: https://hostr.co/ImW67NTlY9Ei 
    Also I noticed there is no baked AO ingame?
    Hope that helps! 
    Hello!

I guess its a matter of taste and old school vs pbr.
    IMO Its abit "gamey" to have very brushed edges but I try do some stuff to help showing difference betwhen planes.
    Small dents on edges, small surface differences to help the shape pop more and read more clearly even if it goes against pbr rules.
    Some weapons are easier to do this for but ofc the goal is to make a good looking asset that reads clearly.

For these weapons we have some limitations due to them being modular, u can change parts so we cant really have AO that connects parts togheter since that AO wont be matching with every possible part. AO is baked for each part individually.

Texturing is required to be quite clean and nice since we on top of theese textures generate wear, dust and dirt in the shader to be able to have  a big variation of quality of weapons, from rusty junk to brand new. Also clean weapons to really dirty weapons to support the jamming system.

//Joakim
  • konraden
    Offline / Send Message
    Niknesh said:
    Damn, awesome work guys!
    I'd pay whatever for the texturing tutorial :smiley:

Did you go with booleans/Zbrush or similar technique to make the guns?
    Also, these renders are really good, do you have some unique studio lighting setup inside UE?
    Hi!

For me I barely used zbrush, only on parts where I could save alot of time or if the asset is  a zbrush asset, like the grip of the baseball bat.
    I really want a clean proper subdivision model, I think thats easier to manage and easier to change and itterate on. I also think they bake better, I get better edges and my maya scene and marmoset scene are not gigabites big.

We basically made a scene in unreal with some pointlights.
    I wish I could spend alot of time rendering each weapon but given Ive done so many weapons for this project I really just dont have the time for that, and yes thats a awesome problem to have :)

//Joakim
  • konraden
    Offline / Send Message
  • Niknesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Niknesh polycounter lvl 10
    konraden said:
     marmoset scene are not gigabites big.
    So true! It's also a wonder if it doesn't crash the program on import.
    Thanks for the tips!

What's the weirdest, craziest weapon that you guys had to do? Unless it's a spoiler hehe.
    Or let's say, weapon that you especially enjoyed making?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I love those models and textures, fantastic....although I love your doggy even more
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
  • konraden
    Offline / Send Message
    Niknesh said:
    konraden said:
     marmoset scene are not gigabites big.
    So true! It's also a wonder if it doesn't crash the program on import.
    Thanks for the tips!

What's the weirdest, craziest weapon that you guys had to do? Unless it's a spoiler hehe.
    Or let's say, weapon that you especially enjoyed making?
    Weirdest one is one Im working on atm :D
    But I really enjoyed the m4, spas12,tec9 and m14. I enjoyed all of them tbh, all with their own challenges.
  • MBS320
    Offline / Send Message
    MBS320 polycounter lvl 2
    Whats it like getting approvals on some of the licensed firearms like say H&K? I've heard they grumble about dust, scratches and w/t on firearms (like every firearm would stay clean and perfect forever) ...