Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: TomYi

null
Offline / Send Message
TomYi null
Hello, I'm Tom Yi, a CG artist based in Taipei.
I'm new to this forum, and since my first post still on its way through the spam filter.
I decide to post some of my 2D work here.

here's the character design following an online tuts, it all starts with grayscale sketch

here's another one, might start a series based on this style.

Replies

• TomYi
    Offline / Send Message
    TomYi null
    Here's some sketch following Jama Jurabaev's tuts, using blending mode to find complex layout.

I

II

III

IV

Here's the process, it's all start with left top.

process I

process II
  • alpickle
    Offline / Send Message
    alpickle null
    Hey, welcome to Polycount, I'm new here as well :smile:

Your value thumbnails looks solid and quite complex. How does this process work? Do you start complex from the very beginning or start simpler and add details as you go?
  • TomYi
    Offline / Send Message
    TomYi null
    alpukka said:
    Hey, welcome to Polycount, I'm new here as well :smile:

Your value thumbnails looks solid and quite complex. How does this process work? Do you start complex from the very beginning or start simpler and add details as you go?

Hi, thanks for your comment :  )

This process and method wasn't mine, but i do learn a lot from it. 
    It needs you to keep the composition simple and readable in the early stage, no need to define everything in the scene.
    Later duplicated your first image using darken or brighter blend mode to flourish your scene (of course with transformation).

The process actually helps me to fix my bad habit. I used to paint a fully rendered (and complex) part before defining the silhouette and focus point of my pictures, and it often ended painfully. (the time used to make the things look right/ eyes are also deluded by watching the same pic too long)

For the character, after define the silhouette, I'd separate each parts for masking to keep the outline, later the rendering and texturing 
  • TomYi
    Offline / Send Message
    TomYi null
    This time, i began with some 3Ds in photoshop.
    It's good to have them for instant structure + perspective.

This one's actually modified from the next one

Building crappy spacecraft using PS 3D is fun

Only the the beam in the middle is made from 3D

cliche one
  • TomYi
    Offline / Send Message
    TomYi null

yesterday sketches

close up
  • TomYi
    Offline / Send Message
    TomYi null
    started my research of color

Using some photo references for color picking, useful for setting up initial lighting and mood.

This one also borrows the texture from photos