Home Career & Education

Creating a Business Card for a 3D Artist?

Elarionus
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Elarionus polycounter lvl 3
I'm trying to figure out how to make an interesting business card, but some of my attempts have just been falling flat. I want to get a sort of modern look, not the old white cards with black text look, but I also want it to somehow show that I'm a 3D designer. Unfortunately, my graphic design ability is little to none, and I'm not sure what I should be going for. Does anyone have any advice on that? Thanks!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Post your attempts.

I can't see what you're seeing in your head unless you share it.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Nowadays there's a plethora of tech avenues to home brew just about anything artistically inclined.

In your case, I'd probably suggest leveraging an image editor, either paid or free.

A ton of simple straight forward online resources to give a helpful hand. 

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    If your graphic design skills are weak, don't show them off. As long as it's functional and easy to read, no one cares what your business card looks like.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah I'd agree, it's usually the case, but still when in a face too face setting, I think can also act in a sense like an 'ice-breaker'.

For example:

"Oh and by the way I made these myself...blah, blah etc"

...if nothing else, at least a possible talking point towards drumming up a business opportunity, who knows?! 

Anyway those linked tutorials would provide some additional polish in terms of presentation. 

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    So, here's what I made for my recent one, just to show what kind of works. It's a bit out-dated, and I messed up with the spacing on the bottom-right side lol, but this was the idea I was going for.

For stuff like GDC or any game-dev meetups around, sometimes there will be a TON of people around, and not everyone will have (or spend) the time to stop and look at your work on their phone. Similar to what I've seen other artists do, Concept Artists/Illustrators, or 3D artists, I just placed them on my card like a small gallery. Just imagine having 10-15 seconds (or like 2 minutes) meeting one dev, then going on to the next. A gallery will just be the quickest way to see what you worked on.

Leave some white space, somewhere in your card, front or back. Sometimes if someone doesn't have a card, or didn't bring theirs, they MIGHT want to write on your card OR just look you up on their phone, but you never know. Having some white space will help, either way. For something like GDC, I often write down, on whoever's card I get, when I met them, and what we talked about. I don't do this all the time, especially if the cards pile up. It just gives me something to go back on when I try to follow-up. 

Thought I'd throw my two-cents on this. This was like a trial and error thing for me, over time. I need to update my cards, though.

The front's the last main environment art piece I did. I plan on switching it to whatever environment art piece I make next. The back is a mix of work, portfolio work, and freelance.