Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Horse Game Res

node
Offline / Send Message
DanNC node
Working on making a versatile horse model for work. Still figuring out hair cards, but this is probably my best attempt yet.

The model will have multiple blend shapes and textures to suit various horse types. It will ultimately be used in an iOS app for horse fitness/health.

I'd appreciate any critiques/advice!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Good looking muscles and textures. I do think the long bone -- probably the femur but i'm not sure -- of the rear legs under the stifle shouldn't have such a concave curve. I am no horse expert, but that area struck me as odd so I pulled up some reference and what I am mostly seeing is that should be straighter or perhaps bulging in the opposite direction (looks like a thin muscle running over top of it that varies in size between breed and individuals). 

Not saying I am right and you are wrong, but maybe warrants some more investigation.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Caiterade calling in an expert.

• DanNC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanNC node
    Good looking muscles and textures. I do think the long bone -- probably the femur but i'm not sure -- of the rear legs under the stifle shouldn't have such a concave curve. I am no horse expert, but that area struck me as odd so I pulled up some reference and what I am mostly seeing is that should be straighter or perhaps bulging in the opposite direction (looks like a thin muscle running over top of it that varies in size between breed and individuals). 

Not saying I am right and you are wrong, but maybe warrants some more investigation.
    Mm yeah, I can see what you mean. I think I had some issues consolidating consolidating anatomical diagrams with photos of horses. The diagrams led to the rigid pose I currently have, whereas the photos showed the hind legs extended back more, pulling the skin and producing a more smooth transition. I will fix the pose before going to the blendshapes. Thank you! Also note to self to always use photo ref instead of the admittedly easier-to-follow diagrams.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think it is a big part of the challenge for 3d artist, gathering all these different types of reference and making sense of them. It is somthing I am struggling with a lot, but there is one thing I found that helped me. Video. Or even better, real life. In either case, being able to study your subject in motion from all angles really helps me like, actually understand how the thing is formed-- more so than trying to replicate and infer from static images, if you know what I mean. 

Not suggesting static images are lesser of a resource or uneccessary -- they are essential -- but I think, if possible, video footage or seeing the subject in real life is just as valuable.