Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][UE4] Rural Church Piano Environment - Finished!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Been working on this to add some personal work that's AAA quality to my portfolio. I'm starting to see the finish line so thought I'd post it up! Originally inspired by the church in Far Cry 5, I wanted to try add a post apoc infected/zombie spin to it. Ending up finding out that it gets very tropey very fast and dialed down alot of my original props. Any feedback and thoughts welcomed.

Although quite advanced, still WIP and some things are still a greyblock. Walls and floors have not been worked on yet.

DONE! FINAL SHOTS: Main view

Additional views

Replies

• Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome, it has a great mood on it. The big and small elements work really well in the scene together
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks wicked! Everything is on point.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Made a Walkman with cassettes and headphones. Will add in cable later. Placed them on my piano chair. Thinking about making a map to also place there too. Probably will need to redo my UV's on my piano because it's looking low res on the really close up shots.

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Made some more props this weekend. Pens, lighter, cans, spoon, and a map. As well as some other tweaks to lighting and cameras. I'm finally done all the props that I want and will now move over to working on the walls, floor and trim. Some props look like they're floating but it's just that they're too small to cast shadow from the real time lights. Hopefully it will be fixed when I do my light baking. Updated my first post with the latest screenshots from all my cameras

• macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    At first sight, i thought about FC5...beautiful work man; gratz ^^
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    I agree with macoll, lots of Far Cry 5 mid western vibes. The detail in the props is beautiful, very personalised. The candle lighting is really nice, just be careful as some of the shadows from the lit candles look a little unrealistic. It might be worth seeing what it looks like turning off cast shadows for the candle meshes. If you have the time, I'd also recommend going back to your walkman and map and writing your own text if you have a wacom. The font you're using is breaking the nice illusion you have of realistic assets. The graffiti in Left for Dead did a great job of looking super realistic, might be worth looking into! Last thing to recommend would be to chuck some subsurface scattering onto your candles. A quick gradient mask from top to bottom, thrown into engine with an orange subsurface colour would really enhance the colour of the candles. 

Keep it up dude, awesome work!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    @JonJo Great tip, I'll look up some Left For Dead graffiti and I'll try writing my own text with my wacom. There's actually SSS on my candles but I'm not totally sure why they don't really look that way. I'll have to investigate more into my material

I'm glad you guys are liking it. I'm super happy with my progress so far and look forward to finally adding some AAA quality art to my folio :smiley:

• CommonOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CommonOne polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great! Pens appear to be floating above the map - might just be the way I'm looking at it. Nice work!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    @CommonOne thanks! I hope once I bake the lighting that it'll ground the smaller objects like the pens. Right now, they're too small to cast shadows from the real time lights

Working on the walls and flooring

Do you guys think it's too busy/noisy looking?

Also, here's a animated comparison from my blockout version of the walls and floors

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Loving the atmosphere, the one thing I would suggest are decals - put the icing on the cake, so to speak, by getting a little grime in the walls and floors.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Not the biggest update, but I've made a first pass at baking out the lights and color grading

• Krystian_Zem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great, the storytelling and detail on the small objects has a great effect to it. The new lighting is spot on too. I'm quite impresses with the quality of that flag too and was wondering what's your workflow for it. How did you crate that normal information on the flag and are the edges/silhouette an opacity map or geometry? Keep up the good work Alexk
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    @Krystian_Zem Thanks! The flag was made in Marvelous Designer, just a rectangle with pins on the corners then run the simulation. Then into Zbrush to Zremesh into quads. It ended up being 2k triangles, which is a bit on the heavy side, but I kept it anyways. Additional normal map detail was done in Substance Painter. And yes, edges and all that, are done using opacity masks alphas inside of Substance Painter. Hope that helps!

These are the masks I used in Substance Painter to get the rips and holes

• rel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rel polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking super amazing and I love the candles on the piano bench, really nice touch! The lighting on the floor/bench is my favorite part of your lighting honestly, it brings some emphasis and even a little foreboding (what's the bat going to be needed for?? when are the zombies coming??) but I'm not entirely sure where that light is coming from. The light is perfect and it seems like it should be coming from the window opposite the piano bench judging by the shadow direction but the window itself is pretty dark. Is that actually coming from off camera as it were? Great work here!
  • Krystian_Zem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @alexk Thanks for taking your time and showing your workflow, it helps a lot. Cant wait to try it out myself :)
  • Shirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shirk greentooth
    This is looking great! My only critiques would be to make sure the wood grain is running lengthwise with the piece of wood its on, The vertical boards on the window frames and the piano bench are the only areas I see this issue. Im a bit nitpicky, but wood grain is something that always sticks out to me almost instantly. 

The last thing would be to reduce the brightness (maybe its light shafts?) of the lighting coming through the window on the left, since its a bit abnormally bright there compared to the rest of the scene but has no purpose, pulling the eye away from the center piece.
  • AlexJerjomin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexJerjomin triangle
    Thats some Great  stuff man! 
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    @Shirk Good eye, I'll fix that after my light baking and post

Another pass at lighting and post processing. Would really like some opinions because I think it's a bit overly processed, but I feel it's closer to what I have in my head for this scene. What do you think?

• MBauer17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    Hey dude thanks for linking the alphas you used for the flag - its exactly what I needed for my project as well!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I'm glad you guys like the alphas. I can't take credit for them though, they're from here

I'm done! Here are the final screenshots! I ended up re-doing the lighting and post process from scratch. I was having alot of trouble with the bakes so I watched one of the Unreal Academy's lighting tutorial and it helped to setup my lights a little better and to get some GI baked into my scene.

Some quick post mortem notes:
    - It took me 3 months to finish and I only worked on it during the weekends. Averaging about 6 - 10 hrs spread over Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. And "crunching" up to 12 hrs the past 2 weeks or so to finish up

- I didn't make any materials from scratch. I actually started out doing that but abandoned it because it took way too long and there are plenty of more talented texture artists out there. The huge majority of my materials were from Substance Share. This saved me a ton of time and allowed me to spend more time making my assets and scene look great

- I made an effort to use the most efficient tools for the job. Marvelous Designer for cloth (flag and cloth covering boxes). Zbrush for quickly banging out extra dents on corners of some of my high poly meshes, sculpting the candles and for using Dynamesh/Zremesher/Decimation Master when I need to crunch a high poly down. The best program I learned and used in this scene was, without a doubt, Substance Painter.

- The best video I watched to learn Substance Painter was the Military Radio tutorial on Gumroad

- Very early on, I ended up watching several tutorials to help improve my overall modeling skills. I've worked in mobile game studios for most of my career and my AAA skills were okay but not up to date. My high poly hard surface modelling improved by switching over to a mainly quad chamfer workflow and some support loop use instead of a pure support loop workflow. I also learned to unwrap better and quicker

The videos that helped me high poly model better, faster and to unwrap faster are all from ChamferZone, specfically these videos. I hope they help others, they really helped me alot.

https://youtu.be/BbZ7ip-eCcI
    https://youtu.be/-rz5_CCWQz8
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice work :) been a fan or your stuff for a while now. Love the piano and the portable cassette player.
  • ChrisFraser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome work. Also agree that Chamferzone has some of the best tutorials out there. Have learned so much from that dude.