Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Art Test Critique

KBear
null
Offline / Send Message
KBear null
Hello! First post on Polycount yay!

I was administered an art test from ArenaNet a few days ago, and I currently have a rough model sculpted out. I want to sort of record my work here, while also hopefully getting some good feedback that will help me improve on what I already have!

This chubby little man has been very fun to work with, and has been an interesting challenge in some areas. Especially in how his skin folds work and where his fat deposits are. Right now I'm looking to go back and refine some of the shapes so that it better suits the concept art provided. I've gotten some real good feedback already that I plan on applying asap, but if anyone has any critiques for the model as it stands I would absolutely love to hear it!

Here's the concept art that I'm working off of.

And here is the model that I currently have, before I start applying fixes.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'd say your creature's claws could be redone. The points of the claws should be touching the ground. The concept has claws that are round and curved and reach around the front of the toe, whereas your sculpt has claws which are flat and oddly shaped. I'd also tighten up the skin above the fingers, as right now it looks like a sleeve of skin consuming the arm (kind of like loose arm warmers).

This creature has sharp teeth, so I'm guessing it's a carnivore, and thus it's eyes need to point more forward. I don't think the area around the eyes should be pushed so far into the skull. Your eyes need some work. The concept's eyes look like those of an elephant, or rhino, but the eyes on your sculpt look scary and angry. It should also have a wider head.

Your hind legs, around the ankle, are unnaturally curved. I'd look at references for a bear's hind ankles.

I assume you've still yet to add the spikes on the back and that piece coming off the jaw?

I feel you should lengthen the tail (slightly). The concept is at an angle which makes the tail look shorter.

I don't think the creature is meant to have pointy/sharp haunches. It looks like that in the concept, but I think it's just meant to be a bit spiky.

I feel like the skull form between your sculpt's 'horns' could be rethought. It would look better if it was flatter like the skull of an elephant, but with the neck shield attached to the side of the skull.

Good luck on the rest of your art test!

• KBear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KBear null
    Hello Ashervisalis

I think all of your critiques are very valid, especially the note about the eyes pointing more forward and the adjustments around the fingers. You're also right in that I should revise the eyes; they definitely look a little more gentle than my current iteration.

I'll be sure to revise these problem areas and apply some of your suggestions. Thank you!
  • KBear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KBear null
    update on the creature model! applied the critiques that I've received for him, and I feel that his sculpt is overall much stronger. More critique is always appreciated, though!

• KBear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KBear null

starting to go into the detailing process. i think it might be necessary to go back and knock back some of the larger scales present on his neck using h polish or the like. also trying not to crowd too much texture into his model.

also went back and lengthened him a bit! while staring at that last screenshot it occurred to me that I had made him much too short, and it would make more sense for a creature of his size if he were a bit longer.