Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Spooky Well (Looking for critique)

Asminae
null
Offline / Send Message
Asminae null
Hello polycounters ! I'm currently looking to improve myself with 3D environment/props. I found this awesome concept in this very website and wanted to make a 3D version of it:

(By Egor bilia)

As for now, I'm about to finish the modeling part:

I intend to sculpt with Zbrush then handpaint the texture with photoshop, I am quite unfamiliar with the process so any critique or advice would be helpful. My goal is to have a faithful recreation but not necessarly a 100% copy of the concept.

My main concern right now is the amount of polygon, I'm around 10K and haven't done the grass or some smaller element yet, I'll be looking to reduce the polycount (heh) a bit, then see what happens next. Whereas the "dirt" is an obvious way to improve this, I wonder if all the beveled edges for the wheel or the well are really necessary, any advice about this ?

I'll post on a regular "schedule", thanks in advance !

Replies

• Asminae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asminae null
    Done ! I'm quite happy with the modeling, but i might need to reduce the polycount again. 
  • KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristinMays polycounter lvl 4
    Is there any reason that you are keeping a low polycount? The only thing that is standing out to me is the proportions on the well to the floor it is on. In the 2d concept you can see that that they take up roughly the same amount of space, but in your model it looks as though the cauldron is smaller. That could just be an issue with translating 2D to 3D and I'm sure you've thought about that! This is going to look really awesome painted, can't wait to see it finished! 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    You should be worried about the polycount after the sculpting stage/during retopologizing, not in the beginning. You don't want that holding back on how great your final result is, do you? Honestly, a lot of the pieces in here should be sculpted from the beginning, such as the rocks candles, etc. You'll get a much better stylized feel to the end product.
  • Asminae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asminae null
    Hello ! Apologies for my lack of presence, things has been quite busy. However I have now an almost finished work. Here are some screenshots made whithin unity

What do you guys think ?