Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy WIP - Critique Welcome

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Glend Galdamez polycounter lvl 3
Hello, Polycount! 

I'm starting a new superhero character, but with that comes getting the proportions right! All critique is welcome! 

I'll post a really early version as well, so you guys can see where I'm going with this a bit more. 

Early Render:

Current Render as of 11/27/2018:

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Can suggest few things :
    - arms look disjointed
     >shoulders to far
     >pectoralis not connecting to the arm [check muscle origin to insertion ]
     >same on the back but muscle are latissimus dorsi and teres major [arm connecting on the back is narrow]
    [optional] push whole arm a bit forward

-hands have some proportional issues

-brow need to be pushed back [corner where front and side plane meet]

-neck too narrow

-legs a bit broken
    >one solution is to push knees outward
    >or pushing ankle inward

-butt is too wide [check image below butt width is ~3/4 of the whole width]
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can suggest few things :
    - arms look disjointed
     >shoulders to far
     >pectoralis not connecting to the arm [check muscle origin to insertion ]
     >same on the back but muscle are latissimus dorsi and teres major [arm connecting on the back is narrow]
    [optional] push whole arm a bit forward

-hands have some proportional issues

-brow need to be pushed back [corner where front and side plane meet]

-neck too narrow

-legs a bit broken
    >one solution is to push knees outward
    >or pushing ankle inward

-butt is too wide [check image below butt width is ~3/4 of the whole width]
    Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about my late response, last month became a super busy month! 

Here are some new updates. 

• Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on facial proportions. 

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breast in side view look weird try to add axillary tail to better integrate it with muscle below also move arm forward to reduce distance between arm and breast
    Legs front view push knee outwards and can give it more bulk on the inside
    Legs side view  increase their width , hide her arms and experiment with what fit her body
    Her back is giant trapezoid with straight line on both sides , you could add volume for lats and teres major and widest point of the rib cage to break this lines
    You could reduce some of the flank fat pad

• Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breast in side view look weird try to add axillary tail to better integrate it with muscle below also move arm forward to reduce distance between arm and breast
    Legs front view push knee outwards and can give it more bulk on the inside
    Legs side view  increase their width , hide her arms and experiment with what fit her body
    Her back is giant trapezoid with straight line on both sides , you could add volume for lats and teres major and widest point of the rib cage to break this lines
    You could reduce some of the flank fat pad

Thanks for the feedback! Here are some updates. 

• BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, you are doing improvements from what we see! :)
    What are your references? can you post them so we can help you better?
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Below are some suggestion for her body[I have reduce shoulder width but you can ignore that] and second image should give you a better understanding of eye-brow area

• Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART said:
    Hey, you are doing improvements from what we see! :)
    What are your references? can you post them so we can help you better?
    Sure. No problem, I'll post a screen cap of my screens after I finish up this latest update. I have more than 20 different files saved using Kuadro reference viewer, and a ton of folders where I grab what I need from. Pinterest and google are friends lol

I grab different anatomical angles, shapes and sizes as well because it helps me understand why the body changes and varies from person to person. I also use Anatomy 360 to my advantage. 

Here's a quick pic of what my workstation looks like. I'm constantly changing reference files depending on what I'm working on. 

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    An even better reference is scanned models. I suggest you pick some up from either Ten24's 3d scan store (They often have sales) or 3d.sk (not nearly as high quality but much cheaper). With scans you can see reference from every single angle which is wonderful
  • BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    good point from @bkost ! i would suggest the same.. also if you try to follow references body from the same persone would be better in my opinion :) 
    but it is good to have more when you study for trying to get the differences in our body
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost said:
    An even better reference is scanned models. I suggest you pick some up from either Ten24's 3d scan store (They often have sales) or 3d.sk (not nearly as high quality but much cheaper). With scans you can see reference from every single angle which is wonderful
    Thanks! Those scans are amazing! 

BestiART said:
    good point from @bkost ! i would suggest the same.. also if you try to follow references body from the same persone would be better in my opinion :) 
    but it is good to have more when you study for trying to get the differences in our body
    I already made the purchase and it changed my life in 1 second... lol 
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Below are some suggestion for her body[I have reduce shoulder width but you can ignore that] and second image should give you a better understanding of eye-brow area

Newest Update.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you have too much references , lets try something different here , work only on legs[everything below ASIS]
    I suggest to start with :
    Analysis of the reference
    -find where bony land marks are
    -then curvature of the inside and outside[front and back] silhouette => rhythm
    -contrast line [line connecting high/low point on outside - inside ->ex. front view fat on the GT and fat inside the thigh high points ]
    -then simplify big form of upper/lower leg ,knee and foot => check their orientation on the long axis
    -and finally start sculpting focusing on all of the above => big form and rhythm
    If by any chance need color just invert then image

• Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, Polycount! Its been a while! :smiley:

Been super busy, and was even out of town for a bit. But as soon as I got home, it felt good to come back to my art again.

Here is my most recent anatomy update for my character.