Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I started a Game Dev Video Series ( Daily Dev Update )

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
So umm... this took way too long for me to gain the courage to do something like this. As of this Monday, I have started a video game artist development vlog that I am calling "Daily Dev Update". The idea is to do a 1-2 minute video every day going over a selection from a handful of things. - What I worked on that day
- Overall tips and tutorials for the various gaming software
- Chill art days ( maybe even just a day where I finally put together legos I got for christmas 2 years ago )
- And just about anything else I can think of that might be interesting to post a video about

the goal of this is to better myself at my work and be able to share what I am doing for those who might be interested in growing as an artist as well.
Or just have something to relax and watch for 2min a day. :smile:  

I am really interested in feedback from anyone who might be interested. If you think I should try something different, include other things per video.. or possibly cut things that you find annoying, I'd be very appreciative of the feedback. I love the polycount community because you can be super blunt and super nice at the same time.

Here is the playlist and as always, your feedback is super appreciated!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY6YXRaUUEg&list=PLv55WU7_uGHuTd1mMEZ79CAKuxzl4LfOs

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice screen presence.  Good job!
  • TravisMcCallum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, good job for having the courage to put yourself in the public spotlight.  I think your idea is great and production value looks good.  Now you've got two big challenges: Consistency and Promotion.  You will need to schedule a steady stream of videos to release and stick to it! If you are looking to produce daily videos, know you are probably gonna get burnt out quickly if this is your first rodeo... that or you will run out of meaningful content for your growing subscriber base.  The second part on promotion is huge and sharing here on Polycount is an excellent avenue to get things done.  On a side note... if it were up to me (I imagine y'all make good money), I might outsource my promotion efforts to a 3rd party freelancer so I can focus on what I enjoy most: content creation.  So here's three pieces of feedback to make your daily game dev VLOG even more a-mei-zing:

1) Cut back your production schedule to 3 days a week.  So you can evenly space the script writing, filming and editing process.
    2) Hire a PR / Marketing freelancer to promote your videos (Try Fiveer or Upwork)
    3) Create a thumbnail for your YouTube Videos!!!  Learn some basic graphic design.  Slap on a border & a title text.  (Protip: Use BigNoodleTitling font).

Keep up the video production man. :)
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga Much appreciated! 
    @TravisMcCallum Thanks for the in-depth feedback. You are right. I want to give the daily thing a try to how long I can go with it to boost fill my page with content. I've got plenty of things to fill it with for the time being and I've managed to be consistent for 6 days now. BUT, there will be a point of burn out for it and I'll try to catch it and do exactly what you suggested and move to the 3 day schedule. That simply is an update video and then from there the schedule is changed. Consistency seems to be the biggest factor so as long as I maintain the new schedule after the schedule update, then all should be well on that front. 

now.. for promotion. THIS IS THE PART I FAIL AT for just about everything I've tried ( And that's been a long and windy road for different project ideas etc ). But I DID notice that consistency started building something for other projects and am hoping over time that will resonate into something. I am unsure. If you have more in-depth feedback as to where to look... PR firms you recommend.. what exactly they would do and handle. Where to even research this stuff without finding the most slimy people on the planet (when the "whale" term starts flying I have to resist the urge to vomit. ) I'd be super appreciative of that!

lastly Thumbnails.. yep ill do those better. 

• chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm This was post was in general. I guess it got moved to 3D Art Showcase. I did just update my thumbnails. I think they aren't too crazy. I don't wanna be like linus tech tips or anything like that where they constantly have some clip-art or look super click baity. Obviously thumbnails should look interesting though.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been going strong for just about 2 weeks now. The 10th video is going live tomorrow morning at 8am. Would it be ok if I posted each video on here as I go? Since it would be daily..  Or would that be too thread spammy? Anyone? 
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew So its been a little over 2 months and the schedule was reduced to a 3 day schedule and now I did a little bit of a retrospective and restarted doing a Weekly Schedule going over what I did each day. So 1 guarunteed video but long enough to talk about what I am doing XD. This has been a wild ride for sure, but I don't regret any of it so far!

This video goes over the retrospective and kicks off the weekly update. :)

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Nice! Subbed. Look forward to watching all your videos!
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis Thanks! Much appreciated :smile:
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still going strong! I started doing some interesting music UE4 stuff this week. That might end up turning into its own thread at some point, but its super early right now.

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated. I am constantly trying to improve how I make these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkD2vYbDpo