Home Technical Talk

Need help with UV and High Poly Baking

node
Offline / Send Message
Kainkun node
Hi, I'm not sure exactly what to show but I've been having a few baking problems and I'm not sure what's causing them or how to fix them. One problem is the artifacts that seem to come from two objects that are too close. Another problem is a weird round thing showing up even though it should be completely flat. And the other one (the bottom one) I can't describe.
Anything would help, Thanks

Replies

• MrJar0
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    Hey.
    https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/matching-by-name-127074308.html
    This should solve the overlapping problems.
    Set your bake distance right. Don't forget antialiasing.Some of the UV islands are too small. Most of the rings/square strips can be a straight line.
    Bake only the normal map first. See if you still get artifacts.
    Might want to rethink the size of some of the islands. Depending on from what angle you will see the prop most of the time.

Hopefully this helped
    Good luck
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Thanks, I have it all as one object. so that's a bad idea and I should keep them as separate pieces?
    Is the bake distance the Max Frontal and Rear Distance? If so how do I know what to set that to?
    What's wrong with small UVs? I want to keep the correct pixel density.
    Wouldnt making the rings and squares straight make deformation?
    Thanks again
  • akiratang
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    What alot ppl use to do is exploding bake.
    You separate the mesh into parts for a cleaner bake, if some parts are too close to one another they may bake onto something you dont want. If you dont want to explode your mesh then using substance painter Match by mesh name is the way to go.

Small UVs are bad as it wont have much resolution to work with and may look blurry and bake incorrectly. 
  • Kainkun
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    I separated the mesh by name and baked only UV, which solved a lot of problems but I'm still getting the weird roundness at the top. Any idea what's going on? I feel like its related to phong angles or soft/hard angles but I think its all supposed to be soft to bake correctly 

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    make sure to have your smoothing groups in mind, right now those normals are extremely bent because you strap them over a lot of convex surface area without splitting, try set more smoothing groups / splits for the top thing (and keep in mind that smoothing splits also have to be UV splits else the normals will have seams)

that black line is the terminator shadow, showing a curved surface. 3DS is extremely bad at displaying that so you need to be careful 

• Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Thanks, I don't use 3DS and I'm not too sure exactly what you mean but does that mean not everything should be equally smoothed? and I should make it not smooth on some edges that are also the edges of UV islands?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you can have different smoothing on individual parts and you should. 90° angles usually should have a cut

If you are more experienced later you can have larger smoothed areas as this saves vertices and makes textures have less seams but to start try do more cuts until you understand it better 

You want your UV islands to be according to your seams, so just make your smoothing first and then adjust the UV accordingly
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Thanks, most of my problems have been solved but I still have some artifacts, any help is appreciated. It might just be something I to need to practice more.

• HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    Are you using maya? Which program are you baking in? and do those final artefacts in the normal show up on the 'blank' white mode?
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    I modeled in Cinema 4D and Maya. I baked in Substance Painter. It does show in white mode
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    First 2 images are most likely smoothing errors,
    the second 2 no idea, maybe UV issues
    Bottom left should be split apart for the bake, and bottom right is likely a cage thing, maybe larger cage size or you have something overlapping double there, like a hidden mesh inside

Btw here is my C4D modeling palette, it has basically all the modeling functions in one place, really makes things a lot easier imo

https://hostr.co/3iwsQJFHXvkq
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Sorry but I'm not too sure what you mean. All the parts are separate pieces. And I didn't use a cage file I used match by mesh name. I don't see anything hidden inside.
    Thanks for the palette