Home Career & Education

Something seems strange about a 3D artist school

Dasha_Canavar
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Dasha_Canavar polycounter lvl 2

Hi guys!

While I am investigating my opportunities to study game design, I’we found one 3d artist school. 

I've visited their open day and actually it was very impressive. They seem to look professional, they said their former students worked on Padington, Avatar, Harry Potter etc... 

But something seems very strange to me. Only around 30 people came to an open day (among them were also the parents of the guys who wants to study) they also mentioned that much more people registered on an open day, but didn’t show up. But the most weird for me, is that they are sending me personal letters about arranging a meeting about my opportunities of studying...

Why they are so unpopular? what is wrong?

the education costs around 1000€ per month. But 

1. as far as I understand education in this field is generally quite expensive 

2. you can get a government support for the education.. 

So what do you say, guys???

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    It's not weird that they are sending you personal letters to arrange discussing you attending the school. It's their job to sell their education to people, it's how they make money.
  • Dasha_Canavar
    Offline / Send Message
    I just had experience with free education so far, where you have to fight to get any information about applying. So that is why it seemed so strange for me, that they are so willing to communicate. 
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Do your homework. Find people who have graduated from there. If they say "our students worked on Harry Potter," find out the name and look them up. 

Don't make decisions based on feelings and hunches. Isn't a snake oil salesmen going to appeal to exactly those things? Collect all the data you can. Don't take a chance on wasting significant time and money.
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Do your homework. Find people who have graduated from there. If they say "our students worked on Harry Potter," find out the name and look them up. 

Don't make decisions based on feelings and hunches. Isn't a snake oil salesmen going to appeal to exactly those things? Collect all the data you can. Don't take a chance on wasting significant time and money.
    I agree completely. It took me months of research to decide on a program to attend. You have to look for cracks and leaks wherever because it's a high cost product you're looking to buy
  • Dasha_Canavar
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for your replies! 
    I definitely will not apply untill I didn’t research it properly. I just try to understand is this normal for payed education or not. In any case, I am still not so rich, to apply for such an expensive school. 

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    aren't there any state unis in your country offering the same for free? i honestly do not think that pushing 1000 euro per month into any gamecourse is worth it. most private schools give you a "diploma" which is worth jack shit. go somewhere where you can get a bachelors degree, or even masters if you want to go even further.
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Neox said:
    aren't there any state unis in your country offering the same for free? i honestly do not think that pushing 1000 euro per month into any gamecourse is worth it. most private schools give you a "diploma" which is worth jack shit. go somewhere where you can get a bachelors degree, or even masters if you want to go even further.
    On the flip side, my experience at community college was not great. Trying to maintain funding by adding bloat to art degrees. Having crap like "history of video games" for two semester so the school can prove youre achieving some sort of academic education... Utterly ridiculous at times.

This is speaking as an American. I can understand the importance of a bachelor's for international travel.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    every single student i know complains about their school, the difference is, some add up a huuuuuuge amount of debt, while others don't

it's not like any of those schools will make you production ready, ideally you use the time at uni to push yourself, don't expect any school to do it for you. and this will just not change, no matter if you paid for it or not, no school can get you a job once you finished studying, only you can.
  • Dasha_Canavar
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your replies!!!

I already have a master degree in classical art, and my opinion about art education is the same, as you guys just wrote above. My ex teacher of drawing in Hungary was hoping that somewhere abroad the situation is different, and the education is up to date and not some kind of fake thing as we had this in my previous university, he was also hoping that somewhere abroad the state education collaborates with industry and helps students to get in the industry and apply their knowledge in practice.. But yes, it seems all the same everywhere, if you say the same things I already herd 10 years ago. And its not a negative evaluation, it is just a fact that we have.

Yes, if I decide to study I would first apply for a state education ofcourse, I have already figured out that my only chance is master program (because only master program held in English) which is hard to get in, bla bla bla, you know.. I’we already been through this when I applied 3 times to the art academy in hungary. 

And while I am thinking if I apply or not, I keep studying by myself, I keep applying for unpaid internships  in the companies and trying to do as much as I can to get a job where I can use my knowledge and ability to draw and paint and be normally payed. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ^ All the best and goodluck in your future endeavours.

Also just something I think worth bearing in mind, is that many established artists in this industry I know of were self taught plus you're transitioning from a traditional background which will definitly not go to waste in pursuit of your career goals.
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Quality of education can vary heavily. Being taught obsolete workflows by someone who hasn't worked in the industry since PlayStation one days can be detrimental. I completely agree that the real work is done outside of the classroom and you will constantly have to supplement your education.

Good luck!
  • Dasha_Canavar
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi thank you! Good wishes are needed!!! 

@Taylor Brown thank you for good luck wishes!