Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mackenzi's Character Design Thread

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kohyunu polycounter lvl 6
Recently, I went through a mentorship course where I created a series of characters based on a theme of my choice.
I chose a contemporary sci-fi fantasy setting where a motley crew of extraordinary individuals would band together to fight against creatures that are beyond our understanding.
For the characters, I wanted an anime-like aesthetic that could work well with the subject matter (heavy action + some macabre & gore), but still allow room for brevity and a wider-audience appeal. (a nice way to say mainstream with a hint of niche appeal)

For creature design, I was heavily inspired by eldritch horror type monsters as well as the aesthetic seen from John Carpenter's The Thing.

I am in the process of finalizing the designs and rendering them to the best of my abilities.

The first post of today is a character that I added later that was like an addition to the original cast.

Minerva, the Vampiress is someone who's lived long (...like really long) enough to know when to set aside differences to join the fight against a common enemy.
She's no saint, but no one is complaining that she is on their side.

Replies

• kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message

Brought up by his mentor and friend during his troubled youth, Jacob eventually became the 58th carrier of the legendary Ghost Blade that is said to be used to repel 'demonic forces'.
    Seems like embellished stories to make things feel more epic... Or was there more to these legends?
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message

Kei Silver.
    Exchange Student, Firearms Expert, Future Funk Aficionado...
    Templar.
    Teaming up with a vampire feels blasphemous... But orders have been made from above, and they must be upheld.
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message

Brought up as a gifted Elemental Manipulator, Olga serves to protect the realm as an agent of the Lotus Order.
    Even if that means to question what she has been taught all her life.
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message

Damien Jones, The 'CEO Monk'.
    Trained from the Small Forest Monastery, and also who happens to be very rich... 
    Someone has to supply all the silver bullets and travel accommodations!
    Saving the realm doesn't come cheap, and it's a good thing that he's here to make things happen.
    He doesn't mind the company. He gets lonely from time to time.
    The group doesn't appreciate his dad jokes, however...
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message

And these are the threat they must contend with...
    No one knows exactly what they are, or how they got here.
    But they infect, and they infest.
    You know it's serious business when rival factions set aside differences, and even vampires join forces.
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message
    Danganronpa Fanart - The 'OC Don't Steal' Character ;P
    I love the Danganronpa series. Probably because it features some of the best characters I've seen in the genre... And the wide expressions have always been a huge appeal factor for me.
    I wanted to capture that spirit and see if I could come up with a character design myself. :)

The following are various expressions I did in GIF format so it rotates through different emotions.