Home Technical Talk

Vue Sky Texture Artifacts

haarp
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haarp polycounter lvl 8
Hi

I'm using Vue 9.5 xStream to render some sky textures, nothing else. After the render is complete there are lines stretching over the texture like you'd usually get from a compression issue. This is before importing into Unreal, so I can see the lines in Photoshop after exporting from Vue as a PNG or Targa. I'm exporting from Vue as a UVSphere unwrap then in Photoshop I'm adding a Polar Coordinate filter. 

Does anyone have experience with Vue and this issue? Most likely I haven't properly set up the render or maybe I'm using it wrong. 

Thanks.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it have the artifacts before you run the Photoshop filter on it?

Also I'm wondering if VUE has a rectilinear rendering mode, so you can avoid the Polar Coords.
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    I always had severe color banding when using Vue skies. Ended up dropping the whole thing and bought a few HDRIs.
  • haarp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haarp polycounter lvl 8
    Does it have the artifacts before you run the Photoshop filter on it?

Also I'm wondering if VUE has a rectilinear rendering mode, so you can avoid the Polar Coords.
    Yes it does have artifacts before using the filter, the image in the top post is from just dragging the PNG into Photoshop. The weird thing is if I do a low res render in Vue the sky has less errors, but when I do a high res render it's really visible. There's very few tutorials online about how to make skies for games in Vue mostly it's just cloud tutorials. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried contacting their support staff? Also if they have a dedicated forum that might be a good place to look, and post.