Home Technical Talk

Professional Sports cars modeling

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I'm really interested in modeling sports vehicles. I'm currently using Blender3D and it's been a week since i started learning RhinoCeros 3D(just for this purpos). Problem is that I find it quite difficult to maintain clean reflections while I'm using Blender (talking about using polys and subD method) considering how the reflictions should pass from a panel to the other without difference in refliction and so on. But along my journy of trying to achieve this goal I realized that I've been trying to do alot of troubleshooting with the body's refliction(maintaining reflictions across panels) more than modeling the body itself. It really feels like I'm using the wrong tool, then I decided to learn a software more specified towards vehicle modeling . Google made me come to the conclusion that Rhino is the way to go, but ever since I started learning it I realized that it's really difficult to find learning sources for it (currently I'm using Lab Manual 1 & 2 found on the official website to learn), plus every detail is kinda pain in the ass to model. It took me like 4 tries to get creases on a door right(only door, didn't even model the whole car).

I know I maybe sound like whining too much, but I need help from professionals to tell me which is the more of a right tool + what sources would be best to help me learn Rhino(if this is your choice of the right tool).
What sources could help me in modeling cars generally in subD method.

Another question, on Artstation I find alot of great car models, but they are most likely modeled in Max or Maya. Does it really matter? I mean does those softwares have more options and functions that help get better results than Blender?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh boy, before I get into this: Please slow down, try to use punctuation, and think about the questions you're asking. What you've written here is difficult to understand; it's written in a stream of conciseness way with no thought given to how the reader will process it. To get a quality response, you need to start with a quality question.

Now, to the topic at hand, I'm guessing all you're asking here is "Which 3D modeling app is best?" To this: there is no best. There's only what you're comfortable with / what works best for you, and nobody can answer that for you. Blender is perfectly capable for modeling cars. Other apps will work too. If you think another app may be better suited for your task, try it. There are trial versions and free educational versions of most software these days.

Now, as far as more specific advice goes, if you can think through this and clearly convey what your current problems are, you may get some helpful responses. As it is now, I have no idea what you're having problems with.

This thread tackles a number of common sub-d issues, so give it a read:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/56014/how-the-f-do-i-model-this-reply-for-help-with-specific-shapes-post-attempt-before-asking#latest
  • Chuckleur98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh boy, before I get into this: Please slow down, try to use punctuation, and think about the questions you're asking. What you've written here is difficult to understand; it's written in a stream of conciseness way with no thought given to how the reader will process it. To get a quality response, you need to start with a quality question.

Now, to the topic at hand, I'm guessing all you're asking here is "Which 3D modeling app is best?" To this: there is no best. There's only what you're comfortable with / what works best for you, and nobody can answer that for you. Blender is perfectly capable for modeling cars. Other apps will work too. If you think another app may be better suited for your task, try it. There are trial versions and free educational versions of most software these days.

Now, as far as more specific advice goes, if you can think through this and clearly convey what your current problems are, you may get some helpful responses. As it is now, I have no idea what you're having problems with.

This thread tackles a number of common sub-d issues, so give it a read:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/56014/how-the-f-do-i-model-this-reply-for-help-with-specific-shapes-post-attempt-before-asking#latest
    sorry I edited the post. Yes I was asking about suggestions not only for the software but also for the modeling method and sources for learning Rhino, thanks for the reply tho!
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Tops notch car modeling courses for Blender are available here:

https://gumroad.com/cgmasters

Looks like they would address the problems you describe.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The only way for you to know for sure is to actually look at the 3d files of car models matching precisely the kind of stuff you want to do.

In my opinion : most of the tutorials you will find about subd car modeling will be irrelevant to your goal, since the body/panel of high-end cars models in games like Forza / ProjectCars / Asseto Corsa are likely not built that way.

at 18m34s

https://youtu.be/TiJbqJwp9AE?t=1114
  • Chuckleur98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    The only way for you to know for sure is to actually look at the 3d files of car models matching precisely the kind of stuff you want to do.

In my opinion : most of the tutorials you will find about subd car modeling will be irrelevant to your goal, since the body/panel of high-end cars models in games like Forza / ProjectCars / Asseto Corsa are likely not built that way.

at 18m34s

https://youtu.be/TiJbqJwp9AE?t=1114
    Thanks alot that will come in handy ;)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I gather you've an interest in class A surfacing (...borrrowing a CAD term) for automotive content?...that tend to rely heavily on reflective materials in order too convey their implicit individual design elements via volume and structure, or in other words primarily a set of unique characteristics which would typically be recognisable to a broad audience when identifying a specific vehicle model type, so in a sense hardly surprising why a NURBs biased app seems to be the choice here.

Now setting aside for a moment your targeted environment, whether for film production, hi-res still, or games etc, I like to address some points learned from my experience generating these complex objects implemting a polygonal workflow.

Firstly a Catmull-Clark subdiv technique will certainly replicate nice reflection flows by using minimal number of vertices, properly spaced edge loops, creating panel trims/cuts after subdiv had been applied whilst preserving hard edges along with creases without the use of support loops and so forth. Additionally an HDR reflection flow check map comes in very useful highlighing errors such as surface waviness and/or jaggedness that may crop up during the modeling process.

Anyway the links detail a bunch of both practical and theory based info, including a section on NURBs, plus by the way I have to say is actually a resource amongst others I'd relied upon over recent years to elevate my own hardsurface skillset beyond the bounds I'd initially thought possible.

https://www.ebalstudios.com/tutorials/
    https://www.ebalstudios.com/blog/modeling-cars-polygons